salted pork fat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by smarsh, Dec 8, 2009.

1. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    i suspect i shouldn't, but my chickens love the fat from a recent country ham i cooked. do you think in small portions, the salt would not be good for them?

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I bet it is okay.

My son (17) was wondering if we fed the chickens bacon would the eggs taste like bacon - kind of like the garlic fed chickens make garlicy eggs?

Let me know if your eggs are "pre-salted"

Caroline
    Jax FL:lol:

3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    as a kid, we had a milk cow that loved the wild garlic; you could smell it when you milked her. Our dog didn't even like it.

4. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I've given them ham fat, but a little boiled out.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you are talking about "Salt Pork" as in white bacon that is salt-cured I would say that it isn't a good idea... Lots of salt..
    Now if you can get "Fat Back" or "Pork Belly" that would be OK for the in small amounts..
    You could all so try some Tallow/ Beef Fat. I know some of the butchers will sell it cheap if they charge you at all..

Chris

6. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Ham, salt port, and bacon have more salt in them than chickens should have. There's a thread somewhere about the dangers of too much salt in their diet and I'll try to find it.

I don't know how to post it in thread format, but the discussion was on 12/04/09 and was titled Salt.

Mary

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  7. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Salt Pork is definately too high. But you can soak ham fat in hot water or boil it, it will reduce the salt in the meat/fat. And than feed sparingly.

When using ham in recipes, I also give it a quick boil. Doesn't hurt taste/texture and reduces the sodium. Than you have ham broth for a soup base as well.

8. Rooster#3

Rooster#3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    wisconsin
    in small portions i guess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by