Saltwater minnows?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovesgliders, Jul 26, 2011.

1. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    This might be a stupid question but the last thing I'd ever want to do is harm my duckies, so I thought I'd ask here to be safe.

My ducks love fish (they've had feeder guppies from the pet store) but they eat $10 worth in about thirty seconds! Living on an island, I have easy access to small saltwater minnows, and would love to give the ducks some, but I don't know if they are safe to feed them.

My husband was thinking we could put the minnows in fresh water for a few minutes to let them "flush" out some of the salt in their bodies?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Putting the minnows in freshwater would probably quickly kill them. Ducks can osmoregulate on salt water. It takes about 2 weeks before suckling's salt glands can develop. Adults take a week or so to acclimate. If you are offering the minnows with fresh water, there would be no problem.

Clint

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I highly doubt it would be a problem for the ducks as long as they have access to all of the fresh water they need.

It would be just like a human eating a lot of salty snacks -- you just drink more and flush it out.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a pond that I use to raise rosy minnows. I feed those to my ducks. Got a feed tub or anything you aren't currently using? They reproduce like crazy!

5. lovesgliders

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:No, they actually live quite a while in there, believe it or not. They slow down some but they stay alive.

6. lovesgliders

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:This is interesting! I've never seen them in the pet store before; where did you get your starter stock? What temps do they like? What do you feed them (or do they just eat the mosquitoes that would doubtless throw a party in a standing tub of water)?

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I get them as feeder fish at the pet store. I don't feed them anything. They eat mosquito larvae and algae. The pond provides all that. As for temps they aren't picky. If you use a tub or stock tank, you might need an aerator.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by