Sam. Favs. missing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiedoodle, Jan 26, 2009.

1. chickiedoodle

chickiedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    I am new to the chicken thing and wonder about two of my chickens. They are missing a bunch of feathers on their rump. There is a bare patch about the size of a fist. First I freaked out and thought they were being picked, but now I am not sure. Their skin is intact, no blood spots, no tears, just no feathers. They both seem a bit broody--they are usually on eggs and peck at me when I take the eggs away--so now I wonder, are they pulling out their own feathers to make nests? None of the other birds look like this, should I worry?

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Do you have a rooster in with them?

3. chickiedoodle

Mar 15, 2008
    Yes one regular size of unknown breed and one japanese white--and 35 girls in all

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    The only hen that has gone broody in my flock so far lost all her tummy feathers but not her butt feathers.
    I would watch to see if they are being picked on as the butt area is a common place for others to peck at them.

If they are being pecked they may need some added protein in there diet like canned cat food,yogurt etc . One common reason for pecking feathers is defficient protien and feathers are moslty protein so they go for them.

You may also just have a bully that you can pick out of the flock. If so seperate that bird to a cage or Dog kennel for about a week and when they return to the flock they will no longer be at the top of the pecking order.

Hope these ideas are helpful. Good luck.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    That is feather picking. Either other hens are doing it as a dominance thing or it's from the roos doing their thing.

6. chickiedoodle

Mar 15, 2008
    Well I will watch and see if I can find a bully. It did start when they were confined to their yard all the time--we laid new sod and didn't want them at it before it grew roots. I let them out this afternoon and put my kids on "chicken duty" to keep them off the lawn, I also put cat food in for them--so I guess we will see. THanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by