Samantha a Drake??? fertilized eggs question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sore Thumb Suburbanite, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    So today as I was petting and preening my sweet tolouse goose, Geraldine, I was watching my 5 ducks wandering around and I suddenly noticed that Samantha, my buff Duck has a curled tail feather!!! I ordered her from the hatchery as a female, and though they have a 95% gender identity rate, it looks like I have a drake after all. Is it at all possible that its still a girl with this stinking cruled feather, or is it definately a boy and now I should expect fertilized eggs?

I have been suspicious about Samantha before because of her different voice and unusual size and ring around her neck, but I trusted that my gender selected girls was a girl. I'm a little dissapointed that I will have 150-200 fewer eggs a year now.

Do other people eat fertilized duck eggs, is there any difference? Is it helpful to even have this duck if its a drake, or should I swap it for a egg layer? Maybe now I can get my chickens this spring since i'll be getting fewer eggs with a drake. UGH!

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    You can eat fertizded duck eggs. I have been. And yes there is a good reason to have a drake, but the only good reason is to have fertile eggs to sell/hatch. But other wise..... No. if you dont care about hatching eggs and selling/keeping the ducklings, then get rid of him.

3. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Are the girls the same breed? You don't see a lot of Buff ducks out there, there may be a market for fertile eggs or ducklings. Just a thought. [​IMG]

4. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    I got 2 different breeds, 2 hybrids and 2 different colors of one breed because I never intended to breed my ducks, I just wanted to eat eggs. I don't know if I have the heart to get rid of him (I think he is my prettiest and softest duck, and he is my husband's favorite), or the room to get another, or the desire to raise more-its such an ordeal. I don't want to encourage crossbreeding either, because I would never keep all the ducklings and I wouldn't want other people to have crossbred ducks. I just don't know what I'll do yet.

are fertilized eggs better nutrient wise, what is the benefit of eating them vs unfertilized?

5. Eris

Eris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    There is no nutritional difference. As long as they are fresh, the only difference literally is 1 extra cell. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by