Same breed half the size baby chick

Nadia_mendoza

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2020
I got day old baby chicks online. One Rhode Island Red is almost as small as an Easter egger bantam that came in the same order , weighing half the weight of a larger Rhode Island Red. They are a week old now, the larger one weights 2.55 oz and the little one 1.2 oz. they are both happy and playful, the only difference I notice is the little one falls asleep instantly when I hold her. The big one doesn’t. They are awesome but it’s so interesting that their size is so different! Any similar experience out there? Will the small one eventually catch up?
4A893B63-ED00-4D90-8764-6906A9016EBC.jpeg

Hi Nadia,

I got 2 each of 5 different breeds and within each breed there was one noticeably smaller. By about 10 weeks, the differences had begun to even out. By 12 weeks the size was similar. However... the bigger Rhode Island Red who I had named Queen Rhoda had to be renamed - King Phillip! He is beautiful, for sure. I guess I got that 10% error factor the hatchery mentions regarding the sexing of the chicks!

I see your post was over a year ago. How did things go?

Hi Nadia,

I got 2 each of 5 different breeds and within each breed there was one noticeably smaller. By about 10 weeks, the differences had begun to even out. By 12 weeks the size was similar. However... the bigger Rhode Island Red who I had named Queen Rhoda had to be renamed - King Phillip! He is beautiful, for sure. I guess I got that 10% error factor the hatchery mentions regarding the sexing of the chicks!

O hi
Hi Nadia,

Hi :)
I actually just posted this today sept 9 2020 (I’m not sure about the date you are seeing) - haha cute story about your king Philip!
I guess I’ll just wait and see 🙂

I got day old baby chicks online. One Rhode Island Red is almost as small as an Easter egger bantam that came in the same order , weighing half the weight of a larger Rhode Island Red. They are a week old now, the larger one weights 2.55 oz and the little one 1.2 oz. they are both happy and playful, the only difference I notice is the little one falls asleep instantly when I hold her. The big one doesn’t. They are awesome but it’s so interesting that their size is so different! Any similar experience out there? Will the small one eventually catch up?View attachment 2327207
Now I’m curious if yours did catch up, because this picture looks exactly like my two Rhode Island Reds at the moment. I’m a bit concerned, but not too much because other than her size, she actually looks to be developing faster than my bigger one. She does fall asleep in my hand rather than try and escape like the others( I have leghorns and ducklings as well), but really in general I’ve noticed she sleeps a lot more than the others. Kind of a joke between my fiancé and I. Under her light, I’m front of her food, next to the water, she just seems to fall asleep wherever whenever. “ There goes Mary Lou again”

Now I’m curious if yours did catch up, because this picture looks exactly like my two Rhode Island Reds at the moment. I’m a bit concerned, but not too much because other than her size, she actually looks to be developing faster than my bigger one. She does fall asleep in my hand rather than try and escape like the others( I have leghorns and ducklings as well), but really in general I’ve noticed she sleeps a lot more than the others. Kind of a joke between my fiancé and I. Under her light, I’m front of her food, next to the water, she just seems to fall asleep wherever whenever. “ There goes Mary Lou again”
Sadly the larger one was attacked by my dog and died before I could know, but it was still much larger than the other, most likely it was a male. The little one grew up just fine and when she was teenager I gave her away to my friend along with others (which was the plan all along) - I heard they were all well.
I also have 2 wellsummers and one of them slept all the time (on the first week or so) standing while the others were playing and scratching around, she survived just fine and is a great layer of large eggs now…

Back
Top Bottom