Same chicks, more confused now, lol, if that was possible

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JohnsonHomestead, May 18, 2011.

1. JohnsonHomestead

JohnsonHomestead Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    [​IMG] This is what the dz of straight run "Heavies" are up too now, when we first got the bitties home, I though 11 were going to be barred rock, pullets and roos, then the 'oddball' my wife pick out named George who I have been told looks like aussie(austrolorpe, is that right?). Then changed to black sexlink, and George still aussie. Well, think some of the sexlink pullets maybe aussie now. So heres some of the babies with more adult feathers comming in.
    Yes, I was a child who lost his mind waiting on Christmas morning. [​IMG]

This little started out completely black on top grayish on bottom, now has white tip coming on wing, throat off white now. Aussie(pullet?)
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot of George who believe is Aussie roo, the one showing its butt is one of the group with marking like the one above.
    [​IMG]

This one started out near identical to the other but no white tip, this one is getting serious red around wing, throat and neck,lol. Sexlink pullet?
    [​IMG]

Any ideas would be great, and if you have any shots of the breeds at this age they could be that would let me compare as well. They are getting to the wing check stage and hard to get good shots, lol, worse than grandkids.

2. dominiquetrix

dominiquetrix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Cute chicks!

I would go nuts trying to guess what breed!! I understand where you are comming from!!

Try feathersite.com. There are lots of photos there of MANY breeds. Also maybe google the individual breed images, you might get lucky.

Hope that helps.

3. JohnsonHomestead

JohnsonHomestead Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    Quote:I google and I google, think I have these black ones figured and they throw a curve, havn't been to feathersite, Yet, its in another tab loading,lol.

We bought this batch with meat birds in mind, cept George, think my wife wanted to keep him from the time she spotted him. I was curious about breed,so when the fellow that owns the feed store I use, told me that the chain was getting "overrun" chicks from some hatchery, I got the name of hatchery and the hunt began, do you know how many chickens fall into the "Heavy" range that are black when babies,lol.

ok, feathersite had some good pictures of some australorps, barred rocks, and the black sexlink sent me to a page I had been before, lol. Think I have come to the face the fact if I want to know what kind of chicks I have, order from reliable hatchery,lol. I have solid guess now, just have to see what I have in a month [​IMG]

4. dominiquetrix

dominiquetrix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Hang in there!

Easy for me to say, huh?

I remember going cross-eyed looking at photos trying to discern the sex of my chicks. Two doms. turned out to be pullets but my silver laced Wyndotte turned into a Silver Sebright Rooster who sounded like a (insert name of really loud breed here.) He's the only rooster I've ever had but he was loud for a bantam from what I understand!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by