1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Same clutch differant fathers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Frozen Feathers, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    My Japanese bantam hen surprised me with chicks about 2 weeks ago. She had hid the nest, I'm assuming under the chicken coop, because a few days after the chicks hatched, there was rotten egg smell....yuck.

Anyway upon further inspection of the chicks, only one looks to be pure Jap, 2 have Silkie toes, feathered feet and black skin, but Jap feathering, so Silkie/Jap cross, and the rest are neither pure Jap and have no Silkie features (which I'm almost certain extra toes and feathered legs are dominant) but are dark colored and taller, leaving the only possible cross to be Phoenix/Japs.

So is it possible? Can 3 different roosters father the same clutch of eggs or is my hen most talented and rolled different hens eggs into her nest?

[​IMG]
    Here she is with her babies

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are her babies now.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Other hens could have layed in the same hidden nest, or it is possible for them to have different sires.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Because hens can hold the roo's sperm, I'm pretty sure that multiple dads are possible.

4. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Well that's what I'm asking [​IMG] ...is it even possible to have different fathers for the same clutch???

I don't believe other hens laid in her secret spot...she is not tolerant of other hens, my other hens are also well behaved and lay in the nest box...

5. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    oops I posted right after you did, SpottedCrow. So you think it's possible that my hen has no morals?? :|

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, if you have more than one roo I bet the chicks have different fathers.

7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Just like cats can have different fathers of the same litter.

8. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    3 roosters at the time she would have been laying her clutch...all free range.
    [​IMG]
    What a naughty girl!

I really didn't want any Jap chicks...my japs are terrible quality. She snuck them by me though..

[​IMG]
    Their mom.

[​IMG]
    Father 1
    [​IMG]
    Father 2 He looks pretty raggedy... he ended up loosing his comb to frostbite. His tail has never been right...at least his legs are short [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Father 3 The guy on the left, I don't have him anymore.

One heck of a paternity test on Maury...YOU"RE ALL THE FATHER!! And the crowd goes wild!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2007
  9. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    She's not naughty, she's just a party girl!

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

She's not naughty, just raped by the roo's!

If the chicks have five toes or black skin, the father was the silkie. Thoes are dominant traits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by