1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Same coop, new flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by snogs, Dec 8, 2013.

1. snogs

snogs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    I have a flock of chickens that I got about 2.5 years ago, and in the spring we're going to dispatch them to the soup pot and start a new flock. The new flock will be going in the same coop and run as the old flock. We've used the deep litter method with great success - no odors in the coop and no issues in the New England winters. I'm curious to know what I need to do between flocks in terms of coop cleaning to prepare it for the new chickens.

I live in a city where we have a 6 hen limit. I currently have 7 hens left of my original 13 (3 roosters, 3 deaths). I'm keeping 2 of my current hens (silkies named Chuck and Tinky) and ordering 11 chicks. My neighbors are used to me having chickens and as long as there is no gap between flocks I doubt anyone will count them. I plan to keep my current hens until the new ones are ready to go outside.

Aside from removing all of the litter and basic cleaning is there anything else I need to be concerned about before putting my new hens in the old hen's quarters?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I wouldn't. I don't believe in disinfecting unless there is evidence of disease, and you don't mention any. I firmly believe the bacteria the current hens will leave will strengthen the new flock's immune systems.

3. snogs

snogs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    That's an interesting point. The chickens I have currently seem quite healthy, and I do enjoy doing less work. Thanks for the input.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm all about less work! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by