Same incubator, 2 differnt due dates!

angidee

Songster
9 Years
Feb 26, 2010
Washington
I have a full incubator! Unfortunately 5 of the eggs are due tomorrow and 20 are due in 2 weeks. I ended up rescuing eggs from one of my hens that decided she wasn't broody anymore.

I am looking for any suggestions that will help make this hatch successful for all.

My concern is that the 5 eggs need a still incubator, while the others need to be turned (I have taken if off the auto rocking cradle and have been hand turning the others) - but what do I do on hatch day? I don't want to open the lid to hand turn and let humidity out causing hatch problems.

Also, what about space? As i mentioned, this incubator is FULL and the 5 eggs need some room to hatch. Can I put some of the other eggs under the brooder lamp for 24ish hours to keep them warm while the eggs hatch? I have a bantam Cochin due to hatch 7 eggs tomorrow also, can she handle 5 more standard eggs?

Thanks for any suggestions you night have!

well hatch day is not near as important as having to turn those other eggs by hand for the three or four or five days you must have the egg turner out.
and don;t be so " iffy " about opening up that incubator on " lockdown " I open mine 2 or more times a day EVERY day of " lockdown : and have a lot higher hatch results then I do by leaving it closed. It simulates the hen stretching her legs and grabbing a glass of water.
The more "care" and attention I give to following " what is right " the lower my hatch rates are.
the more I do "wrong" ( like adding cold water instead of warm, opening up the incubator letting the humidity drop into the teens before adding water etc ) the better the hatches are.

I have a full incubator! Unfortunately 5 of the eggs are due tomorrow and 20 are due in 2 weeks. I ended up rescuing eggs from one of my hens that decided she wasn't broody anymore.
I am looking for any suggestions that will help make this hatch successful for all.
My concern is that the 5 eggs need a still incubator, while the others need to be turned (I have taken if off the auto rocking cradle and have been hand turning the others) - but what do I do on hatch day? I don't want to open the lid to hand turn and let humidity out causing hatch problems.
Also, what about space? As i mentioned, this incubator is FULL and the 5 eggs need some room to hatch. Can I put some of the other eggs under the brooder lamp for 24ish hours to keep them warm while the eggs hatch? I have a bantam Cochin due to hatch 7 eggs tomorrow also, can she handle 5 more standard eggs?
Thanks for any suggestions you night have!

Of course for just a few dollars you can pick up a styrofoam cooler. a lamp socket a 100 watt light bulb and a thermostat off a lower element of a hot water heater and cut the end of an extension cord off and in 20 min have an " emergency " incubator you can use for the hatching.
the temps can swing from 97 to 102 and you won;t tell the difference in the hatches from one that sits dead on 100F

Would I be able to put the eggs due in 2 weeks in the brooder, to act as a temp incubator during the hatch so the hatch humidity doesn't effect them? I have a brooder set up and warm (ready for the coming chicks)

Would I be able to put the eggs due in 2 weeks in the brooder, to act as a temp incubator during the hatch so the hatch humidity doesn't effect them? I have a brooder set up and warm (ready for the coming chicks)

i dont think that would work unless your brooder is a closed brooder and can keep constant temp inside the enclosed brooder

Back
Top Bottom