same old question: boy or girl

smallcitychick

Songster
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Central Washington
I've got 3 easter egger chicks that I purchased straight run. They're about 7 or 8 weeks now. Can you help decide if they pullets or cockerals?

The white is "Steve" and the black one is "Nikki" (my 6 and 4 year olds named them)
smile.png
I was sure that "Steve" was a rooster when they were about 3 or 4 weeks old because he/she developed a comb a bit quicker. But now, they've all seem to catch up to each other. "Steve" is definately the leader and makes sure to keep everyone in their place.

49587_p1000335.jpg

49587_p1000338.jpg

And they super shy "Alissa". I tried to get a straight on head shot, but she just wouldn't cooperate.
49587_p1000341.jpg

49587_p1000342.jpg

Great! I really don't want to keep the white one if it's a roo, but these 3 were the first 3 we got (we have some wyandottes, cochins and leghorns in the brooder now) and my kids are attached to all of them. Maybe we'll wait to see if he's super loud and if the neighbors complain (no ordinance against roosters here, so we could keep him). I was getting a little worried about the last one (Alissa). She's by far my favorite, so mild and calm, and I absolutely love her coloring. I would have to keep her if she turns out to be a he because I'm too attached.
smile.png

pics are too small for me to see the combs well, is Alissa's comb as red as it looks? I would love to see bigger pics

Hmmmm, maybe I'll have to get some better pictures later. For some reason when ever I upload pictures to BYC it automatically resizes them to that size. Not sure how to get the actual pictures bigger?

Can you reupload your photos and just select a bigger size option? 640 x 480 works great.

I am not certain that Steve couldnt be a Stevie....I have leghorn/EE crosses all with peacombs and at 8 weeks old the roos combs are much more pronounced than yours is.

I will know more when I see larger photos
smile.png

OK, trying to choose the largest 'resize' option here:

49587_p1000335.jpg

49587_p1000341.jpg

I don't know they're not looking any bigger to me? Let me see if I can post the ones you click on and get bigger when you click on it?

eta: I don't think that worked at all. Maybe I'll work on getting some better pictures today and then ask my computer smart DH the best way to post them here.

Last edited:
Did you already resize the photos on your computer before you uploaded them here? That might be your problem.

Do you have a photobucket or flicker account? You could try uploading the photos there first and them posting the IMG code here.

In any event, dont get rid of the bird until it crows. I had one EE I was convinced was a rooster until she laid an egg LOL

Back
Top Bottom