Same ole' Same ole' I have a fox problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by absolutemoon, Jun 24, 2011.

1. absolutemoon

absolutemoon New Egg

Mar 7, 2011
    My run is enclosed with 460' of 48" electric poultry netting. Since I have woods near me, I thought this would help with the predator issue. Apparently not!! If any bit of the poultry netting touches the ground (the bottom wire), it grounds the fence out leaving it worthless to the fox. I have lost 6 chickens in the past two weeks. I usually do not wish harm on these guys as they are there for a reason. However, this one I want killed. I have a trap set out that has not worked yet. Can anyone give me direction on another way to trap him (or her). I dont know how to consruct a snare or similar. I just want this fox gone...... Thanks for any help This fox was daring enough to run into MY backyard and take both my favorite Bantys right in front of me. OH I WAS TICKED. NOW ITS WAR!!

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    you are going to be hard pressed to know that you killed a certain fox I normally trap until the problem stops .

3. absolutemoon

absolutemoon New Egg

Mar 7, 2011
    I dont have to kill it. I would trap if I knew how. Thats what I am asking help on..

4. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    I think above poster meant you need to keep trapping until there ar eno more foxes in your trap/no more chickens being eaten...Ive heard cat food far back in the trap, or chicken innards, warm not cold//and not to touch the trap with your hands, it will leave you scent, wear gloves

5. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    and Id be killing it..or it will be back

6. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    I have the same issue right now. It was bold enough to walk within 50 ft of my daughter outside in the early afternoon. It killed 5 of my babies 2 weeks ago. I wish it dead, but I also realize it probably has pups right now and was trying to feed them. So my plan is this: super awesome pred-proof run and limited free ranging until Octoberish when the pups will be old enough to survive on their own. Then it is momma staked out with her .45 and a potato silencer [​IMG]

7. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    What makes you think the pups won't just take over after the momma is gone? Then you have to contend with more than one. I wish I could find the den of the fox that wiped me out a couple of months ago. There would be NO survivors.
    Jack

8. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Quote:Very true, but my tree-hugging-hippie side can't let babies die... even if they will eat my babies. I'll just wait it out and shoot them all when they are grown and before they are raising their own. Then I'll make a gorgeous fox fur coats for all my chickens to wear in the winter [​IMG]

9. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Quote:Very true, but my tree-hugging-hippie side can't let babies die... even if they will eat my babies. I'll just wait it out and shoot them all when they are grown and before they are raising their own. Then I'll make a gorgeous fox fur coats for all my chickens to wear in the winter [​IMG]

My kind feelings to them ran out when I saw how upset my wife and daughter were after the wipeout we had. I understand what you're saying though.
    Jack

10. absolutemoon

absolutemoon New Egg

Mar 7, 2011
    I am with you Jack. Get rid of them before I have a disaster on my hands. Anyone have any pointers on making a snare?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by