Same room for Vaccinated/not vaccinated chicks question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JessaLynn, Apr 15, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    So I have 27 vaccinated chicks we just got today.yeaah! We also have 9 non vaccinated 1 wk old chicks who are in a seperate brooder in our garage and was wondering if it would be ok to have them all in our garage but not in the same brooder? We have our new babies in the house right now but want to move them outside because our brooder isn't big ehough and they would have a larger one out there.Any suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Just wanted to add I only vaccinated them for Mereck's if that makes any difference.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    If you are talking about Mareks vaccine and the unvaccinated chicks have been in a quarantine type environment and never been exposed to other chickens, shared airspace with other chickens or been outside, they should be fine. Also, if the garage is a place that other adult chickens have frequented or been housed in, don't put the chicks in there until they have been quarantined long enough to gain full immunity (10 - 14 days should be long enough).

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    3 years ago I got a load of chicks from a hatchery that were vaccinated for mareks and also hatched a few here in an incubator that were not. Over the period of a week I ended up with 73 chicks. I didn't even think about it then and put them all together in the same brooder.

Mine did just as well(or better) as the hatchery birds. I only lost 1 and that was from being injured by a couple of the hoard. I still have several them around here.

Matt

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  5. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Thanks for responding! [​IMG] I've been freaking out because I don't want to lose any of my babies due to my stupidity.
    No adult chickens have been in there.There way out in our barn.We have 1wk old ducklings in our garage to in there own brooder.

6. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Quote:Thank you that's very reassuring! Now I'm gonna go buy more! LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by