Same time to lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by davekrista, Jun 24, 2010.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I'm VERY new at this. This is the 2nd day we've had our hens. And she laid an egg by the time we came out yesterday morning. Will she lay eggs around the same time all the time, or is it just whenever?

Also when they do lay eggs, do they cluck alot? One of the girls who has been for the most part pretty quiet, has been very vocal today. Clucking and bok bok boking all morning, non stop. Is this because she "need" to lay?

Krista

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Most hens lay every 36 hours or so. If mine lay in the morning then the next day they will lay in the afternoon then the following day they take off. If your hens are leghorns or a high production layer then they would lay more. Most of my hens sing the "Egg Laying" song as we call it after they lay. I also have hens that will cluck and throw a fit if some other hen is in their nesting box of choice even though there might be 3 empty boxes. Imagine that.....

3. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I'm still trying to figure out what breed they are. I had posted pic in the "what breed is this" board, and was told my white one (snow white, named by my 5 y/o) was and easter egger, and she is the noisy one. So I'm not sure how ofte they lay, and I am trying to get better pics of my other 2 to see what kind they are.... And I'm still trying to get her to lay in her nesting box. Her 1st egg was in the middle of the coop, so she hasn't "claimed" a box yet, none of them have....

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My hens typically have a schedule. If they lay today at 10 AM, tomorrow they will lay closer to 11. They will continue to lay about an hour later each day until it gets too late in the evenings. When that happens they will skip a day and start back in the early morning on the next. This is right in line with it taking a hen approx. 25 hours to produce an egg.
    What you are hearing from your normally quiet hen is commonly called the egg song. Lots of theories behind what causes a hen to do this. The best explanation I ever heard of is that a hen does it to draw any possible egg predators away from the egg(s) and onto herself. Sort of "hey! follow me! leave my eggs alone!".

Oh and [​IMG]

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_does_it_take_a_chicken_to_make_an_egg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by