Sammy is sick Mucous coming from mouth.Not eating,drinking lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dinologano, Oct 20, 2009.

1. dinologano

dinologano Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2009
    Salem, Oregon
    If someone out there has any idea what's going on will appreciate the help.
    Yesterday I gave her solution of electrolytes and vitamins and tried to give her some yogurt. Will do same today. She won't last long without some nourishment so give a hand please. Her eyes and nostril openings look ok. Shes'a Salmon Favorelle
    Thanks
    Dean

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Sounds like a toxin/poisoning. Could she have gotten into something (mold, decaying matter, antifreeze, etc)?

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sour/impacted crop?

4. dinologano

Oct 13, 2009
    Salem, Oregon
    No. She's been in an enclosed pen with 13 other hens and so far this is the only one (I hope) with this symptom. Need solutions.

5. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    sorry you haven't gotten any response. I really don't know much about illness, hopefully someone will pipe up and give some suggestions
    and just to make sure you information on the bird is here too I added it here.

Thanks. Did list more a few days ago, but no response.

Hen is a Salmon Favorelle
    enclosed pen with pine shavings.
    Shes' about 2 lbs.
    I can't afford a vet
    Been giving her via syringe about 10cc fluid containing that orange powder by Duvet or Durvet.
    Tried giving her yogurt, but not much success. I just put down some pellets mashed with water and then put in some scrambled egg. She did peck at it, but don't think she ate much. No signs of pooping.
    When I pick her up she seems alert momentarily and then closes her eyes. Eyes and nostrils appear clear.
    I don't smell any bad odor.

That's all i can think of.

If I get nothing else to try I'll get some Sulmet and try that. Need to do something she won't last long this way.

Hope that helps​

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  6. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Is your bird any better?

7. dinologano

Oct 13, 2009
    Salem, Oregon
    No. She's still alive. I'm force feeding her via syringe. I again made her some scrambled eggs, but she hasn't touched it. I've been trying everything, but Sulmet. There's no blood in her poop that I can see. She wasn't pooping until I started feeding her, but she poops a little now and it doesn't appear to be green as it was much earlier.

Deane

8. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    [​IMG] I'm sorry I'm not much help. Maybe someone with more experience will still respond.

9. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Are you sure it's mucous? If the crop is "sour" it is usually caused by yeast, and if it's really bad the infection can "crawl" up the throat out of the crop into the mouth. It's off-white slimy stuff.

How is the crop? Empty? Impacted with a ball of stuff in it? Big and squishy with liquid and air?

10. dinologano

Oct 13, 2009
    Salem, Oregon
    No, what I call mucous was white and a little bubbly, but haven't seen it since, but today I noticed some discharge from one of her eyes. It was off white. She's been sick now for over a week and I've been force feeding her via syringe with water and Vit-al( water vitamin and mineral with electrolytes) the I fed her some high protein mixed with yougurt. Gave her about 15+ccs of the water mix and about same of protein. Also, yesterday took q tip and applied some VetRX two nostrils and roof of mouth. I can't say I see any improvement and the eye mucous is new.

Deane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by