San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

perchie.girl

RIP 1953-2021
9 Years
Nov 29, 2010
San Diego county High Desert
Anybody in the southern San Diego (South Bay, like Bonita or more south), know of a local feed store that sells rice hull bedding? :)
You can get them at East County Feed in Santee. I betcha Bonita Corral can get them it seems to be a pretty big place.

Dont be upset when they go through all the hulls to pick out bits of rice.... LOL. When I bedded Katee down in her 24 x 24 Pipe corral I started with five bags piled in the middle. She went through the pile with Great interest eating little bits here and there effectively spreading it out for herself. Then all I had to do was add to it about once a week. It got to the point where the black birds would line up on the pipe corral and stare me down till I was done. Katee finally figured out that the hulls werent worth the effort to eat, but the Black birds Claimed her corral as THEIR territory....

The nice part was when it rained the water went straight through leaving the top nice and dry..... Katee wont lay down if she doesnt have a soft bed and for Draft horses thats not good. I am sooo glad I have her home now. She has sandy scoops she lays in for her REM sleep.

deb

dfdesigns

Indigo Ridge Farm
11 Years
Sep 20, 2010
Emmett, ID
In the current mode of molting ladies, feathers EVERYWHERE and fewer eggs, I got an amazing surprise today: not just one, but TWO new layers!

wee.gif

A splash Marans for color comparison, and then an Isbar egg and a Hamburg egg. The Isbar egg is so pretty - a different green than the shade of an EE or OE - and accented with light brown spotting. (It's better in person than the photo shows.) I'm thrilled!

Last edited:

Jferlisi

i dont eat chicken!!!!
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Menifee CA
In the current mode of molting ladies, feathers EVERYWHERE and fewer eggs, I got an amazing surprise today: not just one, but TWO new layers!

wee.gif

A splash Marans for color comparison, and then an Isbar egg and a Hamburg egg. The Isbar egg is so pretty - a different green than the shade of an EE or OE - and accented with light brown spotting. (It's better in person than the photo shows.) I'm thrilled!
What beautiful eggs. =D

Aumlet

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Carlsbad, Ca.
My dogs got a door open and got into the backyard while the chickens were out.
hit.gif
The ridgeback only wanted to be outside because my daughter and I were out there with the trampoline I'd just built (an xmas present) but once out both dogs got a hold of my top hen. I managed to get them off her and back into the house, and I was sure I was going to have to euthanize her. Instead, she's in the garage and while she has some wounds I think she'll make it as long as we can keep infection at bay. She's eaten some yogurt and chatted with me. Thank God the dogs were more interested in plucking than going for the kill, or she'd be toast. She's from my original batch of 3 chicks, and I'm terribly fond of her. Such a stressful afternoon. I have the hen in a dog crate in the garage, and I peek in every 30 min or so.

In the future, dogs go on lockdown when my daughter is on the trampoline.

Knock Kneed Hen

California Dream'in Chickens
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
So. Cal.
My dogs got a door open and got into the backyard while the chickens were out. :hit The ridgeback only wanted to be outside because my daughter and I were out there with the trampoline I'd just built (an xmas present) but once out both dogs got a hold of my top hen. I managed to get them off her and back into the house, and I was sure I was going to have to euthanize her. Instead, she's in the garage and while she has some wounds I think she'll make it as long as we can keep infection at bay. She's eaten some yogurt and chatted with me. Thank God the dogs were more interested in plucking than going for the kill, or she'd be toast. She's from my original batch of 3 chicks, and I'm terribly fond of her. Such a stressful afternoon. I have the hen in a dog crate in the garage, and I peek in every 30 min or so.

Always a worry, sorry. Best thing is to keep her warm and quiet so she won't go into shock. Hope she'll be okay in the morning.

LaPetiteFarmer

Songster
7 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Vista, CA
hit.gif
The ridgeback only wanted to be outside because my daughter and I were out there with the trampoline I'd just built (an xmas present) but once out both dogs got a hold of my top hen. I managed to get them off her and back into the house, and I was sure I was going to have to euthanize her. Instead, she's in the garage and while she has some wounds I think she'll make it as long as we can keep infection at bay. She's eaten some yogurt and chatted with me. Thank God the dogs were more interested in plucking than going for the kill, or she'd be toast. She's from my original batch of 3 chicks, and I'm terribly fond of her. Such a stressful afternoon. I have the hen in a dog crate in the garage, and I peek in every 30 min or so.

I am really sorry about your little one and hope she will recover quickly. Few months ago, my shiba inu caught my wyandotte (she was 8 weeks or so) and I really thought she wasn't going to make it. To my surprise, she recovered really fast.
hugs.gif

LaPetiteFarmer

Songster
7 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Vista, CA

wee.gif

Beautiful eggs
love.gif

It's the first time I see an Isbar egg.... so pretty and unique!
I love marans eggs too. They are huge!
I am surprise how big the egg from the hamburg is... I have one who is about to lay (she is from hatchery stock). She is medium size, so I can't wait to see what size of egg she is going to lay!
Ps: it's great to see you smile again
wink.png

Jferlisi

i dont eat chicken!!!!
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Menifee CA
hit.gif

Im so sorry. =( i know its tough and i hope she makes it.
fl.gif
Best wishes to you and you lady.
hugs.gif

Top Bottom