San Diego

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by j mo1, May 28, 2010.

1. j mo1

j mo1 New Egg

May 27, 2010
    Hi all,

I live in North Count Coastal San Diego and was wondering what the main predetors are in the area? Im assuming birds of prey and oppsums? Does any one have experience or advice for predetor proofing in my area?

Thank you!

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Urban or rural?

Also:

Rural, coyotes and dogs (feral and idiot neighbors).

Urban, dogs (see above), neighbors.

I use steel panels (also called hog panels) and 2X4 framing. Mine's on brickwork, so no digging under.

3. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in North County Coastal: Mountain lion, Bobcat, weasels, racoons, opossums, skunks, coyotes, grey fox, hawks and kestrals. Build a pen like fort knox and you won't loose any sleep at night. Don't be tempted to skimp because we live in a populous resort town.

4. chickenp

chickenp New Egg

Apr 24, 2010
    I know from working at point loma there are foxes out there. The Navy in its infinite wisdom set up automatic waterers for ducks one year, then stocked the area with 50 ducks. the foxes ate well for the week, experiment over. The foxes live on the rabbits. I miss SD ( I lived in La Mesa) but not the politics.

5. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Snakes and rats! Other than that the list is pretty complete I think. If you're real close to the beach sea gulls will grab babies.

6. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good point about the gulls!!!

7. SDSA

SDSA Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2012
    San Diego California
    Great horned owls and even barn owls take out a lot of my free range birds if they don't find a safe roost. The biggest killer of chickens for me is my barn cats. If I let them run out of food they will kill chickens and ducks of any size. I love my cats because they are great at keeping the gardens free of gophers, rabbits, mice and rats but when they get hungry they will take on a ten pound rooster and usually win.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by