San Jose, CA or Santa Clara CO

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by iluvwyandottes, Sep 14, 2008.

1. iluvwyandottes

iluvwyandottes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    CA
    Does anyone know about the chicken laws here? Not really sure if chickens are legal.

2. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    I don't know, but I did just want to say HI! to you, as I was - as the song goes - "Born and raised in San Jose" [​IMG]

3. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't know about Santa Clara, but San Jose allows up to 6 of any combination of chickens, ducks, or rabbits, provided there are no roosters, they are kept confined, and are at least 20 feet from residences/neighboring structures.

Hi! I'm a new San Jose chicken keeper, myself! What area are you in? I'm in the Shasta/Hanchett area of the Rose Garden area, and I'm pretty sure some folks around here even have peafowl, since I have been hearing some calling, lately.

4. iluvwyandottes

iluvwyandottes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    CA
    this is kinda eastside territory. Grandpa and his freind raised fighting cocks here. But that was 20 years ago?[​IMG]

5. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    lol hiya! ive been to san jose...im in monterey so howdy neibor [​IMG] and idk....lol i think havin 11 chickens is illegal in monterey but thats never stoped me [​IMG] just playin it safe and no roos [​IMG]

6. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    Depending on where you are in Eastside, you might be in San Jose or you might be in county. (I live 5 blocks from the Burbank district, which is county, and they can do a lot of things we can't, over there.) I think county is more liberal than San Jose, with regard to chickens, but I don't know what the specific county regs are. I figure the San Jose regs are a good default to go with, though.

7. starshrike

starshrike Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    There was another post I replied to regarding chickens in SJ area with a link to the animal ordinances. No roosters and the number is generally 6 for an average size lot. The ordinances are usually by city and not county, so not sure on that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by