San Mateo, Northern California

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by annette333, Feb 25, 2015.

1. annette333

annette333 New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    There is a group of us on Nextdoor, a great social network to connect folks with their neighbors. I thought we could introduce each other here. I am from the Shoreview area and am just starting with my 4 week old chicks. I love them and am very excited about setting them up.

2. skihippie

skihippie New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    San Mateo

3. skihippie

skihippie New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    San Mateo
    Hi Annette. I saw your link on Nextdoor. I live in Northeast Parkside and would be interested in participating in the chicken group. I have 10 girls ranging from 5 months t I a few years.
    Thanks for getting it started.
    Robyn

4. annette333

annette333 New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Hi Robyn! Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I am new to raising chickens. I have always wanted to raise them but didn't know it was ok in San Mateo until I heard a rooster crowing in the neighborhood. I looked the rules up and went out and bought the chicks. I bought plans for a coop and we built it ourselves. They are so much fun and I am looking forward to getting eggs in June hopefully.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. skihippie

skihippie New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    San Mateo
    Your coop is beautiful! and Clean! Mine is definitely ready for it's tri-annual deep cleaning. I've been raising chickens for 4 years now. We started with an Eggloo and now have this. I built it big so if I ever stopped raising chickens, I could convert it to a shed or greenhouse.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. annette333

annette333 New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Wow! I love your coop. My pictures were taken right after I finished building it so that it is why it is so clean. I also put in a watering system and bigger feeders for them. I even added a swing for them. They love it!

7. skihippie

skihippie New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    San Mateo
    A swing sounds like a great idea!

8. georgejlee

georgejlee Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    San Mateo, CA
    Wow a lot of great looking coops here! Mine is a bit more ramshackle, but it serves its purpose! I have a lemon tree and a mulberry tree in the run, it's a bit tricky keeping the chickens out of the trees but I figured something out. :)

I posted on Nextdoor about the Tour de Coop already, but in case you haven't heard about it yet, It's a fun free event on September 19 where people bike around different neighborhoods visiting
    chicken coops. I did it last year and really enjoyed meeting other people in the community with chickens. If we can just get a few more chicken owners in San Mateo to join we can add it to the map. Let me know if you are interested! http://tourdecoop.org/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. annette333

annette333 New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Wow, tour de coop sounds like great fun, but will they come all the way up here to San Mateo? Should we start our own up here?

10. georgejlee

georgejlee Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    San Mateo, CA
    They organize the coops into different tours in different cities. For example, last year the farthest north they went was Redwood City, and they had a tour of four or five coops there. Each city kind of has its own tour. People who sign up can choose which ones they want to attend. I met with Scott (the organizer of the Tour de Coop) and we want to get at least five or six coops or so in the San Mateo area to create a San Mateo tour. I guess there's nothing preventing us from just creating our own coop tour, though the advantage of joining with the Tour de Coop is that we can take advantage of their marketing, organization, and experience planning such events.

George

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by