Sand area/pit in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lovesilkty21, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Lovesilkty21

Lovesilkty21 Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Chandler
    Should i add a sand pit(one ft deep or more?) to my coop to help with the chickens cool in the summer?
    So they can dig down or so?
    or also dust bathing?
    I think my coop idea change minutely [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. starforever61

starforever61 Songster

Aug 1, 2009
    i think it's a great idea and it will help your grass live if you have any because they love scratching in that lovely sand [​IMG] i'm adding that to my coop too! [​IMG] have fun! haha we're using our underused sand box in our new coop [​IMG] lolz

3. Lovesilkty21

Lovesilkty21 Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Chandler
    I don't think my daughter would like the idea of loosing her sand box or seed box as we call it, we put bird seed in it to play in because we have wood floors and didn't want sand tracked in, and if any is throw out of the box as our daughter does so well the bird just eat it [​IMG]
    Thank you

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The chickens would love that!

5. Lovesilkty21

Lovesilkty21 Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Chandler
    Good good it now on my list
    thank you thank you

6. gingernutranger

gingernutranger Songster

Aug 4, 2007
    I dont think that you would need it because all you want in your run at the beggining is as much grass as possible. They really enjoy pecking buggs out of the grass and if you put dirt in the run you will regret it. They will pick an area of there own and there will be plenty of dust.

If you would like to do something I would get a cat litter box or maybee get some 2X6 wood and make a two feet by two feet box and fill it with sand.

7. Lovesilkty21

Lovesilkty21 Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Chandler
    Quote:It not so much for dust bathing as for the hot summer to let them be able to dig, because them chicks will not be EZly able to dig in AZ dirt its well like rock and i want them to be able to get a little hole to be cooler

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  8. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hah! I live in Mesa and those chicken's dig just fine over here. They have practically dug out the foundation under my shed. I have to keep putting stuff around to keep them from digging there. It is amazing. And I live in an old neighborhood, I doubt anyone trucked in topsoil. They can dig.

9. daryl

daryl In the Brooder

Nov 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I dug a sand hole in my run, But I discovered they would not use it .untill after I put a small shelter over the sand hole with plywood and 2x4's..
    I think thay like to feel protected from birds of pray when taking there dust bath, also keeps the sand dryer, thay also dig there own holes in the dirt so who knows..

10. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok, now that I am done being cynical....

Welcome to BYC and greetings from Mesa. Chickens are so fun. I was worried about my black australorps and the heat, but shade, water and a mister over a burlap run for a chicken swamp cooler and they are alive and well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: