Sand bath or nest?

Happy Novogens

formerly Gimpy Quail
9 Years
Aug 21, 2014
outskirts of Phx, AZ
Haven't been here for awhile...

I just picked up a pair of button quail (2 days ago) at a bird mart. I've had them in the past but it has been awhile. I can't remember if they like/use a sand bath.

The reason I ask is that today I added that green ceramic bowl with turkey crumble. I found one quail sitting inside the bowl and flinging all the crumble out. It almost looked like he was bathing. Then he settled in there and I wondered if he found it an appropriate nest.

I do have the pot in there for nesting (at least that worked years ago with another pair I had).
20180522_140007.jpg

Definitely give them a sand bath. They like it, and it helps keep mites off.
Also, give them more cover. Branches, driftwood, brush, things to hide underneath.
Is the top of the cage padded? Buttons flutter up if startled, and they can hurt their little heads if they run into the cage top. It may not happen, but it's simple enough to prevent.

Ah, yes. They need more cover. I'll work on that. Need to find a container for sand so he stops bathing in his turkey crumbles!

The top of the cage is 16" up - not padded. I remembered they boink but was thinking that the height would prevent any damage? How high can they boink?

Thank you

Quail jump and then start flapping their wings, so they can get a pretty decent distance into the air. They won't hit as hard at that height, since it's past the initial powerful leap, but it's still good to have protection.

For cover, a potted pothos plant will be easy to take care of and will send vines everywhere that they can hide under. That would be my suggestion for something quick.

I'm pretty sure pothos is poisonous? Button quail aren't the worst at nibbling plants, but I wouldn't risk it.
However, adding cover reduces the risk they'll boink - they prefer to hide, rather than fly, if they get scared.
And yes, they love sand baths. They might or might not use the pot - mine prefer to lay their eggs in a corner of the cage behind fake plants.

Tomorrow I'm going into town to get some fake plants. I also ordered a floor bird bath to use as a sand bath. I'll attach a new photo of the cage in a couple days.
Thanks all, for the suggestions.

Here I have some cover plants in the cage and the blue "bird bath" is their sand bath. They've already been using it.
I'm sure you'll pardon the messy cage -- quails do as quails do! ;)

Someone on another post was wondering if buttons play. I put those balls in there to see if they would.

Attachments

• 20180528_155220.jpg
    20180528_155220.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom