1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sand Bed Bottom...Pine Shavings Top

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Superior Chicks, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

In our new coop:

6x4 Glassboard floor...we are considering a 2" sand botom layer covered by a topcoat of pine shavings of 2-4".

I've never done this before, but I have read alot of posts favoring this method.

Pros and cons appreciated!

Ma

2. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    I would go with just all shavings. It will all get mixed together anyway and then will all have to be replaced eventually. Also shavings will be dryer.

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    We started using sand because of the turkeys. We initially covered the plywood flooring in both the turkey shed and the chicken coop with scrounged remnants of congoleum covered with straw and pine shavings. The turkeys would fly down from their roost in the morning, hit the straw and shavings, and slide out the door on their butts! We covered the the shed floor with ~3" of sand under the shavings/straw and cured that problem. We then did the same with the coop. Easier to rake and, come spring just that much more sand in the run (add about 40lb. every few months and change out yearly). We clean the coop and shed on a daily basis so have no opinion on use for deep litter, etc. We think the sand compacts a bit when our fat, old, production girls and roo thump down from their roosts in the morning (only about 30" high), maybe keep `em spry a few more years. Sand does help keep the coop and shed drier (very big difference in turkey shed during `mud' season).

4. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm leaning toward the sand botttom.

Anyone else.....opinions?

TIA
    Ma

5. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    I use sand easy to rake also and cuts down on odour.

6. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I use sand in my coop as well, with shavings on top and straight sand in the run.

On major clean out days, its easy to rake the shavings off the top of the sand and then just sift the remaining shavings and poo out of the sand bottom. I still add some stall dry, but with daily turning, it stays pretty dry in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by