sand bedding in pacific northwest

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lrhoodes1126, Apr 18, 2012.

1. lrhoodes1126

lrhoodes1126 New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    Hi,
    I am changing my bedding in my coop bc shavings stay wet. I live near seattle so it rains a lot, i was thinking of sand and looked at local lanscape place they have washed drain rock that comes in 3/8" pea gravel, 7/8" drain rock, 1 1/2" drain rock. They also have washed builders sand used for concrete to sand boxes. Which is the best to use for chickens?any opinions would be great. Thanks.

Lindsay

2. LNM1112

LNM1112 New Egg

Apr 18, 2012
    Greenport
    I really don't think sand would be the best idea because they might mistake it for food.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Perhaps you might address the problem of the wet shavings by determining why they get wet. If the shavings get wet, the sand will get wet. If there is not enough eave or overhang on the roof, the rain can easily get into the coop. If the shavings or sand get wet, your floor might be wet and stay that way encouraging mold and rot.

My chickens can tell the difference between food and sand or other inedible substance.

Chris

4. itsren

itsren Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    Lindsay,

I'm glad you asked this question. I live near Seattle, too - and was considering sand for the very same reason... not in the coop, but in the outside run. I don't necessarily want mud, and I can't afford to build a run that has a roof over it. I plan to use pine shavings inside the hen house though, unless I learn a better way here on this board.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by