sand bedding users...how much sand?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by notducky, Oct 26, 2014.

1. notducky

notducky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    I've had sand in my coop from the beginning and I love it. Heading into winter I don't know if I should add more sand? I have a cat litter scoop and child size rake I use to clean it out. It seems like I take out more sand than needed when I rake though. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Amyloumomof2

Amyloumomof2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2014
    I have sand in mine and was told to attach 1/4" hardwRe cloth to a pitchfork with zip ties and use that. I haven't had a chance yet, though.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    When scooping up poop from sand, you are going to be removing a bit of it each time you clean. I found the best way to pick up poop without removing too much sand and distributing the poop all over the run is to use disposable latex gloves to pick up the poop. That way you are only picking up poop and not too much sand. I use one glove all day long and get a new one the next day.

I use about 4 or 5 inches of sand in my coop and run. I do have to add to it about 2 times a year as when ever I clean I am removing some sand with the poop. When it starts to get low, I add more sand. But well worth it, I think sand is the only way to go!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    rbnk1 likes this.
  4. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
  5. notducky

notducky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    Does the sand keep the coop cold in the winter? I think there would be some definite benefit to deep litter method for the warmth but I just can't get past the smell.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sand is definitely cooler to the touch on the floor. But I am not sure how much heat is retained in the coop by using wood shavings. It is definitely warmer to snuggle into, but I doubt it keeps the air in the coop any warmer than sand would.

7. biteme2134

biteme2134 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    I am on the other end in terms if amoun. I haven't had the funds dump a ton of sand into the area so I've been showing adding playground sand to our run. Our coop has about 2 inches and I'd say the run is about that deep now too. I have read a lot about not using playground sand for various reasons but that's all I have access to and my birds love it. I think the sand acts like an insulator in the winter. If you've got 200 pounds of sand in a small coop in my mind that should make it much harder for air to move in and out. Thus keeping it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. I'd say more can't hurt!

1 person likes this.
  8. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I don't think my sand floor keep the run warmer in the winter, but it does drain well (assuming it is above freezing) and that will keep the birds warm by not being damp and wet. I tried hay and wood shavings, but they kept getting wet and that created many issues and problems.

Bulk sand is usually pretty cheap, I pay $30 for a cubic yard, but you have to have a way to get it home, or pay for delivery, which will probably cost more than the sand itself. A trailer with sides is a good way to move it, just realize a yard of sand weighs about 2,500 lbs, so light duty trailers need not apply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by