Sand Box for Dust Bathing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickencoop789, Feb 8, 2014.

1. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I want to make a sand box for the chickens to take dust baths in. Is playsand ok or is there something better to fill the box with?

2. eggspectation

eggspectation Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    Lexington, KY
    We use all purpose sand and add DE which makes a great dust bath for our 20 hens.

3. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    We just use a fine 'dusty' dirt. They love it. We've never had success with sand though.

HS Pye

4. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    I started off using potting compost - the sort you buy in bags from the garden centre to pot up your plants. I bought the cheapest type (no added fertilisers etc), and they thought it was great.

Then we got a wood burning stove, and I had the bright idea to save the ashes. Now every time I empty the ash pan I tip it into a big bucket, and once a week I add it to the dust bath. The result - chicken heaven! They absolutely LOVE the ashes - they use it all the time.

5. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Yup, our chickens love to use ashes too. [​IMG]

HS Pye

6. eggspectation

eggspectation Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    Lexington, KY
    I read about using wood ashes on BYC andnow we have all my friends, who have wood stover are now saving ashes for thw dust bath.

7. cholmberg

cholmberg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Lewisburg, wv
    Is it normal for hens to not want to dust bathe? Since it's cold perhaps? I put a big, shallow bin
    of sand/DE mix out for them, and so far they will have nothing to do with it. Do they
    just not like sand? The fact that it's -cold- sand? Should I mix some plain dirt into it?
    I don't have access to any wood ashes. =(

8. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Mine don't like sand for dustbathing, especially in the winter. I've given them a bag of the cheapest potting compost I could buy (no added fertilisers etc.) The texture is nice and crumbly and loose and they loved it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by