Sand Box size

Roxiechic

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 30, 2013
Hi everyone,

I thank you all for the good advice I've been reading since late summer, when I got it in my head I wanted some chickens.
So, I built my own coop and pen area and have been taking great care of my six lovely ladies, 2 Buffs, a RI, a BR, an Americauna and a Blue Andalucian. They seem happy and just about 5 months now.

Anyway, today I made a sand box for them out of 2x2 pine, it's 2" square, but my question is how deep should it be?

Also, they're eating it instead of dusting in it. Is this a bad thing?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Roxiechic

It's okay if they eat the sand - it will pass right through. (Unless you are using "All Purpose" sand instead of "play" sand, as the former has little bits of rock, pebbles, tiny stones in it - and that's GOOD because then they can utilize it as grit.). Plus, it's new to them, but the newness will wear off and they won't eat much, later on.

I'd make it about three inches deep. I used a large kitty litter pan, just the bottom tray style, not a covered litter box.

My girls are on nothing but sand (except for their outside run) I dont even need to give them grit cause they eat the sand. The will eventually stop I wouldnt be to concerned. Then they will start to bathe in it. Mine wait till the sun warms up the sand (I live in Colorado so its been pretty cold lately) I love the fact that they are on sand all the time I go out once a day with a kitty scooper and pick up the poo its a lot easier then laying down straw or wood chippings I dont have to rake everything up and toss it all. makes compost a lot easier and quicker too. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom