1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sand Box size

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Roxiechic, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Roxiechic

Roxiechic New Egg

Jan 30, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I thank you all for the good advice I've been reading since late summer, when I got it in my head I wanted some chickens.
    So, I built my own coop and pen area and have been taking great care of my six lovely ladies, 2 Buffs, a RI, a BR, an Americauna and a Blue Andalucian. They seem happy and just about 5 months now.

Anyway, today I made a sand box for them out of 2x2 pine, it's 2" square, but my question is how deep should it be?

Also, they're eating it instead of dusting in it. Is this a bad thing?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Roxiechic

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It's okay if they eat the sand - it will pass right through. (Unless you are using "All Purpose" sand instead of "play" sand, as the former has little bits of rock, pebbles, tiny stones in it - and that's GOOD because then they can utilize it as grit.). Plus, it's new to them, but the newness will wear off and they won't eat much, later on.

I'd make it about three inches deep. I used a large kitty litter pan, just the bottom tray style, not a covered litter box.

2 people like this.
  3. Mygirls20

Mygirls20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    My girls are on nothing but sand (except for their outside run) I dont even need to give them grit cause they eat the sand. The will eventually stop I wouldnt be to concerned. Then they will start to bathe in it. Mine wait till the sun warms up the sand (I live in Colorado so its been pretty cold lately) I love the fact that they are on sand all the time I go out once a day with a kitty scooper and pick up the poo its a lot easier then laying down straw or wood chippings I dont have to rake everything up and toss it all. makes compost a lot easier and quicker too. Hope this helps

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    :welcome From Washington State!

9. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Roxiechic, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I agree with the advice of mygirls20. Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by