Sand floor in an old, unheated coop in cold/snowy upstate, NY???

Unheated old coop, upstate (snowy!) NY--Should I use SAND as the floor covering?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Chicks are three weeks old and the retro-fitting of an old 10'X10' pony shed is almost complete! It's not the Hyatt, but it's a pretty decent space for chickens, I think! My family (who know many old-school, "real" farmers--the kind who didn't ever let their chickens out to pasture or free-range at all!) are laughing at all of the research I've done on chickens so far...but admit that we do have nice, healthy, happy 3-week old chicks!!

That being said, I was thinking we would do sand in the coop and fenced in run--what do you think about that for an un-heated old coop in upstate, NY? Thinking cold temperatures, moisture, etc. The concept of sand in the coop sounds 100% ridiculous and foreign to the family--they figured hay/straw/wood shavings.

I know coop/run floor coverings is a hot-button debate and have read MANY threads related to it...but my worries are that it will freeze and make the coop less warm.

What do you think? Otherwise, it has to be something readily available at Tractor Supply... (wood shavings, hay, etc.)

Thanks!!

Sarah

Chicks are three weeks old and the retro-fitting of an old 10'X10' pony shed is almost complete!  It's not the Hyatt, but it's a pretty decent space for chickens, I think!  My family (who know many old-school, "real" farmers--the kind who didn't ever let their chickens out to pasture or free-range at all!) are laughing at all of the research I've done on chickens so far...but admit that we do have nice, healthy, happy 3-week old chicks!!

That being said, I was thinking we would do sand in the coop and fenced in run--what do you think about that for an un-heated old coop in upstate, NY?  Thinking cold temperatures, moisture, etc.   The concept of sand in the coop sounds 100% ridiculous and foreign to the family--they figured hay/straw/wood shavings.

I know coop/run floor coverings is a hot-button debate and have read MANY threads related to it...but my worries are that it will freeze and make the coop less warm.

What do you think?  Otherwise, it has to be something readily available at Tractor Supply... (wood shavings, hay, etc.)

Thanks!!

Sarah
If nobody will answer your question I'll give it a shot, I have sand in my run and love it, very easy to clean with a cat litter scoop and a rake. I use shavings in the coop bought at tractor supply, I cut the chicken door about 6 inches off the floor so I could get them pretty deep for the winter. You should look into putting a board under the roost with sand or sweet pdz in it, most of the pooping will a cure at night,this will keep the coop alot cleaner and less stinky.

We will have 3 2X4 roost poles with a poop board and Sweet PDZ in it (my husband thinks I'm nut so and thinks it's dumb, but I'll win this battle ;)

Maybe I'll do Sweet PDZ poop board and shavings/hay/straw on the ground? I'm not sure I can convince hubby of the sand route.....

Worried it would freeze in a coop that's not heated...

The sand won't freeze if it is dry inside, I keep the water in the run. I would use the shavings in the coop I've heard it can get alot stinker. I'm in Massachusetts and after last year's winter if it didn't freeze then it will never freeze. I also wrap my covered run with a heavy canvas and a clear shower curtain on the front, it keeps everything dry and lets the sunshine in kinda like a greenhouse effect.

Back
Top Bottom