sand floor in my coop...can this be their "grit/oystershell"?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mandapanda3186, May 6, 2011.

1. mandapanda3186

mandapanda3186 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    It would be convenient! Otherwise I bought oystershell...its so big! Or at least it seems like it...how do ya'll make it for chicks? Hammer/rock is taking FOREVER! Advice please [​IMG]

2. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm pretty sure oyster shell is for the calcium for laying hens. Grit is to grind food up. We do just use sand for grit.

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:Yup, oyster shell (or egg shell) is for added calcium for layers, you do not want to feed that to chicks, they cannot handle too much calcium.

The sand should work fine for grit though, and dust bathing! We have some play sand left over from my daughter's sandbox, so I'll put a dish of this in for the chicks to bathe in and get their grit from.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I've been using sand in the brooder and it's all my chicks need for grit. My understanding is that adult chickens need larger grit than just sand though, even up to small pebbles, so I guess it would depend on what kind of sand you were using. Play sand, probably too small. Contractor sand, okay. Someone who knows more than me want to weigh in?

And, yes, oyster shells have a completely different purpose.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Oyster shell is used for additional calcuim for laying chickens. Please do not feed it to your youngsters as grit. From what I have read on here too much calcium before they are laying can damage their kidneys. The sand in the coop floor is just fine as grit. Nothing else needed. When your pullets start laying, you can put the oyster shell out in a different container and just let them eat it whole. They will only take what they need.

6. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Yes, oyster shell is for layers, to provide calcium.
    Grit is for their gizzards, to break down foods. Chicks on crumbles don't need grit until they start eating other foods too. Not sure which foods chicks eat that require grit other than grains...others will know.

7. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:When I was looking at grit for layers and chicks it was mainly the size that was different, full grown birds can handle much larger grit. I think some of the grit for layers I saw also had added calcium, but I don't know if that is standard for all brands.

Ninabeast- How do you like sand in your brooder? I've heard little about it being used for chicks, but I was also curious. It seems like it would hold some radiant heat well.

8. mandapanda3186

mandapanda3186 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    Thanks for the input! I'm glad I asked..I thought I read somewhere that grit/oystershell was pretty much the same thing but now I know better! [​IMG] p.s. I did not feed them any...I will throw their treats out and just let then go for it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by