1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sand Flooring - how much is enough & other questions...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SydneyChick, Dec 21, 2011.

1. SydneyChick

SydneyChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Hi everyone!

Well, the chickens have a new, roomy 2.3m x 2.3m aviary to call home.

The three hens will be in there 80% of the time and free-range when I'm in the garden and on w/ends.

I want to use sand + gravel for flooring as the coop unfortunately is positioned directly in the path of run off from the front yard.

So my question is: how do I do this properly?

How much gravel? How much sand?

And should I put a dividing layer between sand & gravel?

If so - what should I use?

The Aviary is sitting on a sloping concrete slab, only partially enclosed with the front and half the side walls being Galveston mesh panels.

Thanks in advance!

Sophia

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd divert the run off around the coop, and build up the inside at least 6 inches higher than the outside.

I'd use all sand with no gravel

3. SydneyChick

Jul 28, 2011
    Ok. I've dug a French drain around 2 sides of the coop to try & help with run off as much as possible.

I had the idea from somewhere that gravel was necessary?

4. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I had the idea from somewhere that gravel was necessary?

I see no advantage to it, and it will make it harder to clean out​

5. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    My property is really wet in the winter. For my run, on top of dirt, I put down 3" of pea gravel and then 3" of sand. I contained it all by lining the bottom walls of the run with 1X6's. The sand and gravel have settled so the top of the sand is about 2" below the top of the wood border. It works.

6. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:That might depend on: A. How well the coop/run site drains, and B. How much rain/snow you get.

I've got a layer of gravel under the sand, because the ground here is like a sponge and tends to hold water long after it rains. Our rainfall is measured in feet per year not inches. [​IMG] I think the gravel helps to keep the water from "wicking" up into the sand from the dirt below it. The sand in the coop certainly tends to dry out faster than the surrounding soil anyway.

I think you'll just have to look at your own coop's siteing and climate to judge using gravel or not.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Are you saying the coop in on the ground? If that's the case you're asking for problems.[​IMG]

8. SydneyChick

Jul 28, 2011
    Quote:I live in Sydney, Australia - and we have very mild winters. (doesnt reallty go below 10 degrees Celsius, ever.)

The aviary is a run/ coop. I only have 3 hens, so at the back of the aviary I have installed several nice tree branches 1-3ft off the ground.

In the opposite, sheltered corner, I have installed 2 milk crates on a shelf 1ft off the ground for nesting.

[​IMG]

9. SydneyChick

Jul 28, 2011
    Well - we just had a rainstorm and now half my lovely sand is in the back garden.

Any ideas?!?

10. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Run some boards around the edge of the fence to keep it in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by