Sand for bedding in the coop?

MsChickenMomma

Crowing
8 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Michigan
I have read in many places that sand is a good bedding because it is low maintenance, and it helps with dust and odor. I just have a few questions about using sand as bedding.

1. How much does it cost?
2. Can I buy it from TSC?
3. Which sand do I use?
4. How often do I change out the sand for completely fresh sand?
5. Does it cost more or less than pine shavings?
6. Will my chickens fill up their open top 2 gallon bucket with the sand?

I currently use pine shavings, and I have to clean the entire coop every 1-2 weeks because it starts to get extremely dusty and it smells terrible! I would really like to switch to sand, but I'd like to have these questions answered before I decide to switch from shavings to sand.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

MsChickenMomma

Crowing
8 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Michigan
Is anyone able to help me out here?
idunno.gif

boxofpens

Songster
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
Texas
I don't use sand, and don't know what it costs, but I believe the theory with sand is that you can just scoop or rake the poop out, so you don't have to change it out completely very often. I have read that some
people advise not to use children's play sand feom Lowe's or Home Depot because it has silica (?) in the dust and can cause problems with ckns respiratory tract. I've also read that others use it with no problems. A few people have a problem with sand stinking (but that seems to be the minority).

nbenevento

Songster
7 Years
Nov 12, 2012
From Southwestern, PA.
Get all purpose or construction grade sand. It's probably similar in price to pine shavings, maybe a little more. You will a fortune though because as long as you scoop the poop out you rarely have to change it out. I would change it once a year as long as you are scooping. You can buy it anywhere like Home Depot, lowes, 84 lumber, or any other home improvement place. Open top bucket? I'm not sure what you mean with that. If there is a bucket in their coop or run, yes, they will get sand in it because they will love dust bathing in the sand and you know how it will fly in there! Lol. I hope that helps.

Top Bottom