Sand for chicken coop? Tube sand/grain size

Kcollins213

In the Brooder
May 11, 2021
I got a bunch of quickcrete tube bags of sand. Someone wanted to get them out of their way and I have been debating about testing sand inside the coop. Now I’m second guessing if it’s ok to use in the coop. I figured I would come here and see if someone can help.

Attachments

• CE2C5CE6-68A9-4754-A5B2-8D4B129B6740.jpeg
    CE2C5CE6-68A9-4754-A5B2-8D4B129B6740.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 44
I have sand in my coop and I hate it

that looks fine to me though
What makes you hate it? We have a concrete floor that has been sealed. It doesn’t matter how much I clean it for some reason they get it wet and smelly. And they have a poop board so I am not sure why they have been going through shavings so much. We do have some ducks that go in the coop so I’m guessing it’s probably them. I just can’t take the smell! I cleaned it and within a week it smells again, I have put stall dry in it, and a coop refresher spray. It’s a large coop I believe it’s a 12x9 with a high ceiling and I have been leaving both windows and door open to help air it out. I was thinking of trying sand for the warmer months

What makes you hate it? We have a concrete floor that has been sealed. It doesn’t matter how much I clean it for some reason they get it wet and smelly. And they have a poop board so I am not sure why they have been going through shavings so much. We do have some ducks that go in the coop so I’m guessing it’s probably them. I just can’t take the smell! I cleaned it and within a week it smells again, I have put stall dry in it, and a coop refresher spray. It’s a large coop I believe it’s a 12x9 with a high ceiling and I have been leaving both windows and door open to help air it out. I was thinking of trying sand for the warmer months

The sand is wet and smelly too. It doesn't drain properly. I used sand that wasn't crushed all the way so it doesn't cause respiratory issues. It gets all hard like concrete and its a pain to turn over.

The sand is wet and smelly too. It doesn't drain properly. I used sand that wasn't crushed all the way so it doesn't cause respiratory issues. It gets all hard like concrete and its a pain to turn over.
Hmmm....ok I’ll have to think about it. I just don’t know what changed in my hens, like it had such a strong ammonia smell one day I couldn’t stand to be in it. I’m kinda at a loss of what to do. It has never been like that before until a few weeks ago.

Could be the ducks making the 'wet'....is their water inside?
Any chance the wet is coming from a leak or seeping in at ground level.
Wet is definitely going to make stink, need to find the source.

Got pics of coop inside and out?

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Kcollins213
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1622064252151.png

Back
Top Bottom