Sand for Chicks????

TheFunnyFarm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 4, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Does anyone know if it would be ok to put a small dish of sand in with the chicks so if they like they could take a sand bath.My first ever chicks seem board their a little over a week old now and I think they look board. ( Am I going chick crazy ? ) I made them a small roost,only a couple inches off the ground and they love it ,just wanted to spoil them further.

ebonykawai

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
Wheatfield, NY near NiagFalls
Heh, go to Petsmart and get them some birdie toys.
smile.png

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
A small dish of clean play sand would make a great dust bath. Put it in a frizbee or something low and they will have a blast. They will also eat a bit of the sand and it will be good for them and act like grit so you can give a tiny bit of treats. You can buy bird toys for them if you want... but I don't. I think that money could be better spent on other chicken things. They seem to have just as much fun running around with meal worms from the pet store. Just don't over do the treats.

antiquebuff

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Franklin, NC
My babies are a week old and I put a small dish of sand in for them and they love it! They peck around in it and dust in it. A couple of them just like to sleep in it! Good luck with your babies!
wee.gif

Barnyard

Addicted to Quack
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Southwest Georgia
My little chick's love french fries....they play the keep away game. They are so funny to watch when I give them treats.

As for the sand, I put sand in the brooder with mine and all they wanted to do was eat it, so I took it out. Maybe I will try it again tomm.

GwenFarms

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
If you see them pecking at the sand remember that it can cause craw impaction. As long as they aren't pecking at it, it should be okay, but if you aren't there to watch I'd be careful.

Top Bottom