Sand for Chicks????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheFunnyFarm, Mar 10, 2008.

1. TheFunnyFarm

TheFunnyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    Does anyone know if it would be ok to put a small dish of sand in with the chicks so if they like they could take a sand bath.My first ever chicks seem board their a little over a week old now and I think they look board. ( Am I going chick crazy ? ) I made them a small roost,only a couple inches off the ground and they love it ,just wanted to spoil them further.

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I dont know if you should for chicks. would it cause impation? My birds dust in there crumbles its funny.

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Heh, go to Petsmart and get them some birdie toys. [​IMG]

4. TheFunnyFarm

TheFunnyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    Birds????.......Bird Toys??????...I'm so stupid!!! Thanks

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Dont feel stupid. I never thought chickens would like bird toys. until a week ago

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

A small dish of clean play sand would make a great dust bath. Put it in a frizbee or something low and they will have a blast. They will also eat a bit of the sand and it will be good for them and act like grit so you can give a tiny bit of treats. You can buy bird toys for them if you want... but I don't. I think that money could be better spent on other chicken things. They seem to have just as much fun running around with meal worms from the pet store. Just don't over do the treats.

7. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    My babies are a week old and I put a small dish of sand in for them and they love it! They peck around in it and dust in it. A couple of them just like to sleep in it! Good luck with your babies! [​IMG]

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

give them a small strip of fabric and they will play chickie keep-away for hours!

9. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    My little chick's love french fries....they play the keep away game. They are so funny to watch when I give them treats.

As for the sand, I put sand in the brooder with mine and all they wanted to do was eat it, so I took it out. Maybe I will try it again tomm.

10. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    If you see them pecking at the sand remember that it can cause craw impaction. As long as they aren't pecking at it, it should be okay, but if you aren't there to watch I'd be careful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by