Sand for litter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dbjay417, Jan 13, 2008.

1. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    Does anyone have any experience with using sand for litter?

i found some literature suggesting that it works pretty well, but the text didnt actually go into detail.

I live about 1000 miles away from a pine tree and not a mile from the beach LoL. obviously i wouldn't use beach sand, but that illustrates the difference in price locally.

I would imagine sand and bird poop would kinda act like kitty litter and cat poop, but I'm just searching for some facts before I make my choice.

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I use sand on the floor of my coop and then a layer of hay. I use sand under my roosts and clean that daily like a kitty litter box. I add sand to the roost area every couple months. Then once a year I shovel out all the sand in the coop and replace it. Works great for me and very easy to keep clean.

[​IMG]

3. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I live in Arizona and my back yard is all sand. My chickens love to have a sand bath.

I do put straw in their pens to catch the chicken poo, just easier to clean up, for our show chickens.

But I have some bantam RIR's that are out of the pen all day, and they have no problem with it. They stir it up, and help to bury their poo.

Hope that helps

Angie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by