Sand for the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenCrazy8, Apr 1, 2015.

1. ChickenCrazy8

ChickenCrazy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    Hi!
    I'm going to purchase some sand to fill in my run--there has been a lot of dust bathing---and I was wondering if there is any type of sand I should stay away from purchasing or if there is a specific type of sand I should get?
    Thanks so much!!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I try to buy washed sand from the garden center. I used to buy the play sand in bags but switched to a truckload delivered (small truck). I wear an N95 mask when sifting sand as it is very bad to breathe.

3. ChickenCrazy8

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    Sweet, thanks so much!

4. beanieroo

beanieroo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    Yeah stay away from any kind of building sand and get washed sand, quarry sand, play sand, etc. Building sand usually has some kind of oil in it that causes it to stick together making it a real hazard to chickens if ingested. In my run we have regular quarry sand that was delivered by a truck but later on I got a few bags of paver sand and added it in a spot that needed filling in. A few days later one of my girls got a crop impaction ): Moral of the story just make sure your sand is free of any oil to prevent it from clumping up in your chickens' crops.

5. ChickenCrazy8

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    Okay, thanks so much beanieroo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by