sand hill- anybody know much?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by chickiebaby, Nov 22, 2008.

1. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I think I'd like to order some birdies from this great looking place. Anybody here who knows them well?

2. chickiebaby

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Just noticed no one answered this. Maybe I posted it at a bad time? Anyone? Thanks!

3. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

I think their prices are alittle high. I have never gotten anything from them though. try welp for what you are looking for but they just have chicks

4. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    I've ordered from Sand Hill, and I know quite a bit about them from others as well.

I'll give you the short version--Glenn and Linda Drowns run Sand Hill Preservation Ctr, which is an heirloom seed and poultry hobby business. It's a family-run affair, and they're understaffed and sometimes have service issues. But, I will say that in my own case there was not a problem along those lines. There was a backlog on my breed, sure, so I had to wait--but that is often the case. When my order came up, I received a very polite and friendly personal phone call from Linda, and my order was on its way. The birds arrived healthy two days later.

They do have a wide selection, but what that often means is that they have poor specimens of any particular breed, some of their bantams are particularly poor in type. However, overall, they're usually as good as, if not better than, the larger hatcheries. Depends on the breed. I have seen some really good specimens from there. You should check with other people who've bought the breed you're interested in to get as much info as you can before ordering. And then get ready to be patient [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They are certainly not internet friendly. For that you'd have to deal with Ideal or McMurray.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've had several experiences of SandHill and one batch was good and the others were less than ideal. Not my idea of preservationist because most of the chicks that grew up were less than ideal according to the judges. Too many of them were less vigor, bent toes and majority died before laying age, in one case, the entire flock of Mahogany Favs all died before adulthood and it was disappointing. Looks more like hatchery run than culling out the bad apples in the flock particularly with the Orps with yellow legs......

Would I buy them again? It depends on the breeds and watch what others have bought and what they didnt like or did like about certain breeds. However I would NOT buy their Polishes, Faverolles but pleased with the Australorps, and Buff Orpingtons, they got the size and egg laying capablilities.

They are pretty good in the "common" breeds like the Aussies, Orps and Barred Rock breeds. It would be interesting to see what else folks got that are better than the hatchery bred birds.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I agree with that Mahonri, they are not internet friendly and the waiting list is pretty LONG. Some breeds are booked up until next year.

8. chickiebaby

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Well thank you all. I think I have my answer there. Knew I could count on you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by