Sand Hill Preservation Center- Are their Runner ducks true to type?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by relicwife, Jan 17, 2013.

1. relicwife

relicwife New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    Hello,

I've ordered Runner Ducks from a hatchery before, and was really dissapointed when they were built like all my other ducks. I saw some pictures where they looked like bowling pins with legs, and i thought they looked so cute! So has any one gotten runner ducks from Sand Hill? And did they have the bowling pin look? I don't want to get squatty little ducks again!

Thanks!
    Michelle

2. Funniducki1

Funniducki1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Hello!

We have ordered about 15 Runners from Sandhill Preservation. I like the company a lot, although it may take a little longer to get birds from them (or not, depending on the season and temperature and how their birds are producing).

I would definitely say they are more egg-type runners than show quality. The blacks were okay quality--except then some of them turned out to have quite patches (NOT okay for 4h shows, or others). The buffs were heavier than they should be for standard. They were sweet though. The buffs are a very nice color.

I would recommended getting your better-quality runners from Holderread's. They sell out quickly, and you will pay more, but it saves time and money in the long run if you plan on having really nice breed-standard tall runner ducks. If you just want some skinner backyard ducks that run instead of waddle, you could go with Sandhill's. It all depends what you plan on doing with them. Remember that Sandhill's are bred for production (eggs), while Holderreads are bred for type and show looks (good breed representatives).

Where did you get your "squatty" runner ducks from before?? ;)

Hope that helps a bit.
    ~Danielle

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You need to find show quality birds if you want a runner that meets the standard. Very few hatcheries are going to have show quality. Holderread's does have their exhibition quality runner ducklings but just because the parents or the line is show quality does not mean that the ducklings all will be.
    Breeders of quality birds are going to cull A LOT in order to breed for the attributes they want. Some show lines sacrifice other qualities like egg laying ability for type.

4. relicwife

relicwife New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    I'm not sure what hatchery, since my daughter got them from a friend in 4-H. My kids show at the local Farm Show, but I was really just looking for some pretty lawn ornaments :) and some eggs to sell to local bakeries. So they don't have to be show quality, I just wanted some that had that tall bowling pin look, because I think they looks absolutley hilarious. :)

Thank you very much!
    Michelle

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I started with runners, from Metzer Farms. They were hilarious.

Forgot to say [​IMG]

6. relicwife

relicwife New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    Ok, I just don't want them to be built lthe same as an ordinary duck. For instance, my drake, Arnold, is a magpie, and is actually taller and leaner than my so called runner duck. lol And thank you! [​IMG]

7. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    These ducks are from my "deluxe runner assortment" order from Holderread last year. While they are not perfect, they definitely look more "runnery" than other hatchery birds, and may give you the "look" that you wanted. I also have some from the year before and they are all laying really well too. I get at least an egg every other day from each bird without adding extra light.

(There is a plane flying overhead, they do not have wry neck!! [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ooh, so svelte! Some of mine are like that, some are a little chunkier. All are excellent layers.

9. kimberly35042

kimberly35042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Oh they are so pretty ! I miss my runners, but dang those were the most ummm... "amorous" boys. I think they need a 10 to 1 ratio!!

Did your assortment provide equal number of females? Just curious. I had a gosling assortment of 4 lovely ganders and 1 lovely goose [​IMG]

10. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    Actually I got 6 females and 5 males both years I ordered from them. I guess I got lucky! [​IMG] I currently have 7 females to 2 boys, so they aren't too bad... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by