Sand Hill Preservation Center

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by countrygirl4513, Jan 4, 2008.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I received a catalog from them today. They carry heirloom seeds and poultry, out of Iowa. Just wondered if anyone has had dealings with them. This is their website www.sandhillpreservation.com

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I used to have some excellent Welsh Harlequin ducks from Sandhill. They were very good quality.

Chel

3. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    If you want genuine heirloom poultry and don't want to have to worry about potential issues with hatchery stock, they're an excellent resource. They are a small, family-owned business, and they are sincere about genetic and breed preservation and are one of the few really trustworthy sources for some of the really rare breeds of chickens that hatcheries are so quick to tell you they can sell you in volume. (Question: if they're so rare, how can all these hatcheries so easily send you a couple hundred chicks? [​IMG]). Of course, people are starting to catch on, and so Sand Hill's waiting list is getting longer and longer. They were already sold out of some varieties for half or all of 2008 before the catalog even came out. Because they hatch few chicks, ordering from them is a commitment and requires patience. They can take months to fill an order, but some feel it's worth the wait.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  4. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Their seeds are awesome, I love to garden so that's all I can base my experience with them on.
    Are you more curious about the seeds or the chicks?

5. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I received my cat. from them Fri. and plan on getting a few birds from them. I was wondering about the seeds also.

6. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    hey kingscall,
    here's what a dumdum i am . . .
    i read your post and i was like, "wait, they sell cats?!!!!" so i went to look at the site because i was so confused and guess what? no cats. so i went back to your post and realized, oh, cat . . . catalog . . .
    and, yup, i'm a graduate student in english.
    yikes![​IMG]

7. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    I sent them an order, first time, for Jersey Giants , 2008 hatch. The only thing I have ever heard negative about them is that you have to wait sometimes for your order.

If they are , as I have read, taking care about their breeding program , this is a positive rather than a negative.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I know this is an old thread, but just found out that my Rose Comb Rhode Island White birds are descendants of birds from Sand Hill Preservation Center. I have shown them at poultry shows and doing very well. I did send them an e-mail to inquire if they were descendants of any particular line as they are into preservation. I have not heard back from them and don't expect I will as they state in their catalog and on their website that they don't take orders but do say "If you have questions you may contact us by e-mail at the following address: Sand Hill Preservation". I would still like to know. According to their catalog and website, they breed Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds. I would like to get some Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds to my flock and again would like to know if they are descendants of any particular line.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  9. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I got Delawares and Dominiques from them, and was pleased with the quality of the birds..... I did email them, and they did not respond, but did 'answer ' the email, by doing what i requested.

Mrs K

10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Your best bet would be to call and talk to Glenn. I think Thursday afternoon is the time to call and have someone answer the phone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by