Sand Hill Preservation Center

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Chickhick, May 11, 2010.

1. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Does Sand Hill Preservation Center have good quality birds, or is it just a hatchery with hatchery quality birds?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    "Good quality" means different things to different people.

If you want birds that meet APA show standards then probably not.

If you want good working birds that grow well then maybe so depending on the breed/variety you choose. I've liked the ones I've ordered from them right well, but I stick with breeds that once had practical utility. Many were never bred for anything more than show or yard art and for those breeds you'll likely be better off looking for breeders who select for those traits.

.....Alan.

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Sandhill is better than any hatchery. I have gotten birds from them and won at shows with them. They do not advertise their birds as show quality but rather heritage birds. They have some very beautiful birds and some unusual ones as well. They do have strict ordering policies so they have developed a bad reputation because of it. I find them very nice people and knowledgeable about their birds.

4. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Thanks for the responses. I'm not planning on showing, but I do like a good looking bird that generally adheres to the standard of a given breed. But my main priority would be functionality. It seems that there are big differences in birds gotten from various sources, in looks, personality and production value. I'm thinking of getting some Leghorns, and Sand Hill has the biggest variety of colors I've found. Does anyone know of other good sources for colored Leghorns?

5. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I rec'd 25 EE's from them and they are awesome. I also ordered a pair of RT Geese from them in the past and they had fewer goslings hatch than anticipated. I waited until the following Spring for the goslings. They sent me an adult trio instead of a pair! I can highly recommend them. They are good hard working people that care about their birds and their customers. I'm very pleased with their birds!

6. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    I should be getting my order of 25 Assorted from them next week. Still waiting for the confirmation letter to let me know which hatch date I get (hopefully my first choice.) Sorta related, I ordered my garden seeds from them this year and looking good so far. Plus they sent some extras AND a $2 coupon because they were out of one of the seeds I wanted, which I used on my chick order. I like their mission, even if their birds aren't perfect - I do value utility over looks.

7. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Chickhick I have some of their leghorns. They are one of the only places to get mille fluer I have those and black. They are already laying and I love the look of the mille's they are healthly and lay everyday even though they are young I have some of their eggs in the bator and hope to hatch some out. I just received 2 orders from them last week and I am planning on a big fall order as well. I wont order from the hatcheries but I will order from them. I also have their cochins,orpingtons,salmon faverolles,blue andulasians,and blue and black jersey giants. The only ones I have shown are the cochins but as I said she took BV (best variety) But I just love her personality she is so sweet I can even pick her up when shes broody and not get bit. Micki

8. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Are they N.P.I.P. certified? I was looking on their site and could not find anything about being N.P.I.P. certified. I figured for sure they would be since they ship so many birds. Does anyone know?

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/pages/poultry_catalog.html

We are members of the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP# 42-278). Therefore, all of our breeding stock is blood tested annually. Every poultry order comes with an NPIP sheet and a breed list in the envelope attached to the outside of the box indicating what is enclosed

.....Alan.

10. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    A.T. Hagan :

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/pages/poultry_catalog.html

We are members of the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP# 42-278). Therefore, all of our breeding stock is blood tested annually. Every poultry order comes with an NPIP sheet and a breed list in the envelope attached to the outside of the box indicating what is enclosed

.....Alan.

Thank you! I thought I read that they were, but could not find it when I went back.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by