Sand Hill Preservation Center

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by chloezoebob101, Feb 19, 2012.

1. I got this catalog " sandhill preservation center" in the mail, and it has chicks in it. They are looking a bit pricey. 5 dollars for some chicks, is that too much? No pictures, but i can look those up on the internet. Does anyone have experience with this place? We would have to have them shipped, and i have never done that way, should i do this?? or should i stick with just Heartland Hatchery?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If they are extremely rare breeds, it's a good price.

If it is just common breeds or breeds that are getting numberous from the "rarity list" then, it would be too much.

They used to include shipping prices but since shipping has gone to the roof, they started charging shipping a few years ago.

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

They are a small mom and pop business that is trying to keep rare breeds alive. Depending on the breed (as has been mentioned) they may have good prices. They have a good reputation generally speaking, for what that is worth...

edited to add a word

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have looked at this website a few times. There are a few breed available there that are not available at most Hatcheries. I would think that they are not true heritage breeds like a breeder would have. $5 a chick is a little high for Straight Run Chicks. If you are wanting some eggs layers I would order from Cackle, Meyer, or McMurrary. They sell sexed Pullet for 2.50-3 each. No if Sand Hill offers a breed that you want that no other hatchery sells them go for it! Just remember that Hatcheries Generally do not sell Show Quality birds. Good luck with your order! What breeds are you wanting?

Nate

5. something like milles fleur and americanas, just something that last good.

6. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Are you wanting them for show? Or just Eye Candy in your lawn to get a few eggs?

Nate

7. eggs! and meat.

8. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I would use a hatchery that you can get Sexed Pullets. Usually Easter Eggers are like $2.50-$3 for a pullet and Millie Fleurs are around $3-$4 for St Run. Those breeds wont have much meat on them. You might get a good size EE Roo But they are usually 5-6 lbs from hatcheries. Have you thought about a few dual purpose breeds? Maybe like Buff Orpingtons or Barred Rocks? Those Roos are better for Meat. How many bird are you planning to get?

Nate

9. we are also getting some from heartland which has some sexed, but not that many differenent kinds. thanks for the price, that helps me when getting the miles flour and the EE. we are going to get some buff orpintons nd barred rocks. about 100 or so

10. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    100 Buffs or BR? What are you going to do with all of them? That will be a lot of eggs!

Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by