Sand Hill question

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Freeholder, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    I've ordered a couple of times from Sand Hill and have been pretty happy with what I got. Now I'm debating getting some more birds for a breeding flock (I'm leaning towards Buckeyes at the moment) and would like to support the preservation work that Sand Hill does by ordering from them -- are their birds generally good quality, rather than hatchery stock?

Kathleen

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    There are also lots of great breeders on here that are selling rare or heritage breeds ... I do hear great things about sand hill preservation.

3. Freeholder

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    People who can ship chicks, though? I don't want hatching eggs -- I don't have an incubator and won't know exactly when my hens will go broody.

Kathleen

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yes there are breeders here who ship chicks.

One for example... Pips&Peeps... but I think she just ships pure bred Ameraucanas.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I think Ruth ships dayold Marans and I think Pasofinofarm ships Marans, Ameraucana in blue wheaten and wheaten, and Salmon Faverolles.

Henry

6. karabbitry

karabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    If you are looking for Buckeyes I would go with Duane Urch. He has one of "the" lines of successful buckeyes. Most birds can be be traced back to only a number of lines and I think Duane has had his for over 40 years. He doesn't have a website but will send his pricelist via e-mail.

Anthony

7. Freeholder

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    Does anyone have Duane Urch's e-mail address? I'd be glad to look at his price list. I'd also like to know more about his Buckeyes if anyone has experience with them.

Thanks!

Kathleen

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've ordered thru Sandhill a few times too and they are more like a hatchery type birds because the chicks were all wrong in type or colors that we requested. Their Faverolles pretty much not in the right colors. And there were problems with them and it was a struggle trying to keep them alive after four months before they went to their new home and she lost all of them within the first year, both Salmons and Mahoganys. They didnt have the "correct" full beard, rather skimpy.

The Welsummers from there is not too shabby but it could use some improvement. Would I buy them? No.

The Polish are very disappointing....too many of them have crooked toes and the male ratio was very high in two orders. They were pretty weak in most parts.

The American breeds are ok but their Buff Orps are not as GOLD like I would like them to be. More of a wishy washy color. Their vigours are pretty good.

I dont think they did a good job culling like they do but they are like a hatchery but preserving the breed itself.

I am thinking about checking out their Spitzhaubens.............

9. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  10. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by