Sand Hill white Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gootziecat, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Sand Hill Preservation has white Ameraucanas listed.

"Pure white in color, bearded. Good layers of greenish blue eggs. Leg color can vary in this breed. Mixing of two show strains has resulted in some interesting variation. We do not recommend showing these as some may not be what the APA Standard requires."

Sand Hill also has them listed under extra-large egg layers.

Has anyone ordered these? I would be interested in what the 'interesting variations' are, and if if they truly are extra-large egg layers.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If that is what they are quoting the variations, they may be just white EE's. It is a shame! I honestly think they should be White EE's rather than the real White Ameraucanas because they are not breeding for standard. I do not know what else to call those "Ameraucanas with purebred lines" Like different breeds like the Orps, purebred Orps, non hatchery that you can get a "calico" chicks out of different colored Orpingtons. I am disappointed to say, at the least.

They would be good egg layers and most of the white EEs I've had, they are good sized Large eggs. I honestly do not know of the Sandhill's Ameraucuanas eggs.

Someone should pop up and give their opinions.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd have to see them to judge what they are. My true Ameraucanas do lay extra large eggs, at least the older ones do. I'd say the two younger girls lay medium to large. All mine are over two years old, though.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Hi - [​IMG]

Saw your post and thought I should tell you...

I highly doubt these are "True Ameraucanas" they're probably White Easter Eggers. All the hatcheries have Easter Eggers, but they list them as either "Ameraucanas" or "Araucanas". [​IMG]

5. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    The Sand Hill guy actually knows what he's talking about (and knows the difference between APA Ameraucanas and EEs). If he says he got them from show strains it's true. I'd recommend that you call them and ask--you can get some leakage sometimes when mixing whites because of the way white works in birds; I wonder if that's what he's talking about. But I'd ask him; they're very friendly there.

1 person likes this.
  6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:This listing their catalogue makes me think they don't know the difference.
    " Ameraucana: Multicolored, pea combed. Adults tend to be pastel shades of gray and fawn. Some are non-bearded. They are very active foragers and lay greenish blue eggs. Chicks $3.00 (10)"

Ameraucana are NEVER beardless they aren't multicolored either.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Exactly as said. They're Easter Eggers. Ameraucanas should NEVER have a variation in leg color, nor should they ever be beardless. Not even colors in need of improvement like Silver and Buff have faults that bad.

To have green or yellow legs one must take the yellow skinned genes from outside the Ameraucana genepool and introduce it. [​IMG] aka - Have Easter Eggers.

8. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Breed notes: Ameraucanas are sometimes called the "Easter Egg Chicken" because they lay green, blue or olive eggs as well as brown. Many places list "Araucanas" but they are really "Ameraucanas." Araucanas are rumpless and have ear tufts (tufts of feathers that grow from the ear). Ameraucanas, however, have a tail and a beard or muff (which is a group of feathers located under the chin). Our Ameraucanas that are mixed colors are not of APA Standard quality. They lay an assortment of colors of eggs though only eggs of "greenish" shades are incubated. Our Black Ameraucanas and White Ameraucanas are both selected for the APA Standard. While the APA Standard calls for a blue egg, I've yet to ever see in anyone's Ameraucana flock what I would call a "blue" egg. Most I've seen are shades of "greenish blue". This is why we list ours as laying a greenish blue egg. Ameraucanas have a pea comb.

I put Sandhill a step above the rest and I am ordering their Black Ameraucanas for someone this year. I would hardly consider their birds hatchery stock, would never assume they don't know what they are doing, and firmly believe they would not deceive anyone.

Let's try to read a little more clearly what is on their site before judging them too harshly and so publically [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:So to contradict what you're saying, Omniskies. [​IMG]

Obviously they're not bred to the SOP. If you want real Ameraucanas, what's wrong with ordering chicks from John Blehm or Pips&peeps? Those two are guaranteed, reputable breeders who focus specifically on Ameraucanas and have been breeding them for years, plus they've been showing them successively.

Also the quote from Sandhill is still very false. People who list Araucanas do NOT have Ameraucanas, and Ameraucanas are NOT the same as Easter Egg chickens. Plus, if they still had brown eggs produced from their stock, and only incubated the greenish ones, that obviously means they have green eggs, not blue, because yes I agree blue often looks more green than blue, but still, true green eggs will produce brown egg layers. BLUE egg layers do not.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  10. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:So to contradict what you're saying, Omniskies. [​IMG]

Obviously they're not bred to the SOP. If you want real Ameraucanas, what's wrong with ordering chicks from John Blehm or Pips&peeps? Those two are guaranteed, reputable breeders who focus specifically on Ameraucanas and have been breeding them for years, plus they've been showing them successively.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by