Sand in brooder

I personally wait a couple days before adding bedding and use puppy pads or dish towels or paper towels until I’m sure the chicks have figured out that the chick crumbles are the food. But after that, sand would probably work. I recommend courser sand (builder or all purpose) NOT “play sand”

I personally wait a couple days before adding bedding and use puppy pads or dish towels or paper towels until I’m sure the chicks have figured out that the chick crumbles are the food. But after that, sand would probably work. I recommend courser sand (builder or all purpose) NOT “play sand”
I start my chicks directly on the sand bedding. I use what is referred to as "blow sand" dug directly from this sand dune. It works fine for me.

Good to know! I had multiple people tell me to start on paper towels or similar, so always been hesitant to do anything different 🤷‍♀️. But guess chicks with mama hens don’t start out on paper towels 🤣
The paper towels or pads are to stop hatchlings from eating wood chips or similar bedding and getting impacted. Sand if eaten is a benefit it acts as a grit. I add chick grit to my hatchlings within first few days just in case they do get something they are not supposed to be eating. Like you said mama hen will usually take their hatchlings directly to dirt for them to ingest for grit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom