Sand in coop in cold climate

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by waterglider, May 8, 2011.

1. waterglider

waterglider New Egg

May 8, 2011
    Hi,
    I took the advice of several members and placed sand in our new coop. Our 10 chicks are still in our house (5 weeks old) and I think they are ready to head out to the coop. I'm going to use a heat lamp until the temps come up a bit more as it still gets down to low 40's at night (even upper 30s).

The sand is really cold to the touch so I was thinking about using some baled straw that was left over from the previous owner. Thought I would spread some of it out so they could stay warmer.

Any thoughts? Should this do the trick? Thanks for the advice. This cold climate chicken farming has some added obstacles it seems....

Sean

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You're not likely to want sand in the coop overwinter even when they are grown. As you say, it is just too darn cold on their feeties, not only unpleasant for them but just a big kick-me sign for frostbit toes (which is much worse than frostbit combs). So, I think you may find you want to swap it out at some point ANYhow.

You could do it now, just switch to shavings or whatever; or I suppose you *could* (as you suggest) top it with straw. It will be ok at first but fairly soon will all break down and stir together into a straw-debris-y/sandy mess, good for the garden though.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. waterglider

waterglider New Egg

May 8, 2011
    Quote:Thank you for the good advice. I have a very large coop for the 10 chickens, so I decided to do half and half. I divided the coop with a 2X8 and made half sand, and the other half with the roost and boxes I dug out and am going to do shavings. I think that'll work out just fine.

Thanks again!

Sean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by