Sand in coop maintance ??s

sab

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Ripley, WV
Newly built coop and I went with sand. Only it's now wet. Wasn't wet when I put it in. I suspect the duck (only 1). The wetness is all around the watering dish and that is raised up on blocks. Seems to be more than a good foot all around it. I thought in this heat, surely it would dry. Not! So tonight I put the blocks on top of a plastic tub lid with the watering dish on top of that. So now there is a "water catcher" - if that is what's doing it. Should I consider taking that wet sand out?? Or do you think it will dry in time (before winter). If the sand is wet during the winter, I suspect that will not be good for freezing little chicken/duck feet. There are 5 chickens and 1 duck living in a 8x8 coop. I'm getting ready to order sand for the run and changing it out is not an issue. What is causing it is. Any thoughts????

Thanks in advance.

Not warm on freezing cold days --- looking ahead toward winter. And don't I need to keep on top of moisture in the coop??

I would say your duck, i put my one duck in my small coop for a couple days and he made a wet mess too. I just mixed up the sand and it dried out, but it its deep you could take it out, you know best.

I had the same problem when it rained real good. I had to (and have to do more) re-grade it by adding fill dirt to to low spots and building up around the run. Now, I have put a bigger run in and I have to do it all over again!
he.gif
I put DE in the sand it keeps things dry and is great when the girls are dust bathing in it...

I put the water sprinkler on my run just about every day. It wets the sand and they dig wallows to cool off. Sand dries quickly if it has sunlight on it.

So I am gathering from this that I should not be concerned about wet sand in a complete ft. radius around the waterer INSIDE the coop.... Right??
Outside the coop - no sand yet. I was letting them eat the grass and destroy the ground before I brought in sand into the run. Outside, I expect the sand to get wet. Inside.... not so much. But you guys are saying it won't add to moisture issues this winter nor to freezing issues.... Just want to confirm I understand correctly. If just 1 of you say yes I am right then I will remove the plastic tub lid I have under the waterer as water catcher tomorrow.

THANKS!!!

We have sand in our coops and runs. We keep the water out side in the run which has a roof over it. That way there is no wet sand in the coop. The sand out side will dry pretty fast. Like others have said we spray water on the sand in the run on hot days and the chickens love it.

Ok so here is another dumb ?

I have 1 duck who thinks she is a chicken. She was raised with them. Can she go all night without water?? Seems that she is the one making the mess inside so that indicates to me that she is using it. The coop has an auto door opener/closer so the pop door does not stay open at night. The run is not predator proof so the duck can't stay outside @ night.

Another dumb ? -- this can all be resolved if I put in a nipple watering system - can ducks use that???

I'm just trying to puzzle this altogether for the best.

THANKS!!

Back
Top Bottom