Sand in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicloven, Aug 31, 2016.

1. chicloven

chicloven Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2016
    So I'm considering putting a sand box in the coop with the chickens being that they like to dust bathe. Are there any tips you guys recommend?

2. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    My tip, don't let it get wet. I built a sand box in my old covered run and filled it with half dirt and half sand. A storm came through and it rained sideways. The dirt bath got wet and never dried out. It was totally useless before they ever got in it. My mistake.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do they have no where else to dust bathe?
    I've made several dust bathing bins/areas....they ignore them and make their own out in the run both out in the open and under the edge of coop where it stays dry most the time.
    I do put a bin inside the coop in the winter for when the ground outside is frozen solid for months.

4. chicloven

Aug 27, 2016
    I only own 3 chicks which are only 5 weeks. I haven't been letting them out the coop as much ever since I had a hawk trying have them for lunch. They actually loved the sand box. I was just wondering if there was any I need to add like wood ash or grit?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sure, if they love it, that's great....they may not use once they can go outside.
    If anything, I'd just add some dirt from outside the coop into the sand box.
    You could add some chick grit in there too, especially if you are feeding them anything other than chick feed.
    Will they have a secure mesh or solid covered run?
    Do you have older birds or are these your first?

6. chicloven

Aug 27, 2016
    This is what I have them in now I'm think of getting some mesh to let them roam my yard in.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by