1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I was wondering if sand would work in the coop...

I have silkies and would like to show, so want them to stay as clean as possible

2. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I have showgirls and a silkie. When I got my silkie his/her leg feathers were filthy! He/she was kept on pine shavings.

I use sand in my coops and in my experience sand definitely keeps them cleaner!

3. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    i think that is what i am going to do then

thanks so much for your input!

4. paulpig

paulpig Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    I have a plastic shirt box with sand mixed with DE.......the girls LOVE taking baths in it!!

5. dianer29

dianer29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I am getting my Silkies into their coop soon. Meantime hubby and I moved them out of a large (but not large enough) cardboard box (their brooder) We took the almost finished one run into garage and got them set up in it today with the 40 w light bulb that we have been using lately. They are 2 month old Silkies.I want to get the small plastic cat litter pan that Walmart has and put one of the follwing in it for a dust bath.First I thought, playsand or construction sand by itself then read on blog somewhere to try another thing like DE mixed or not . Please keep in mind the run will eventually be just that a run ,as I will have 2 runs attached on 2 sides of coop . For now all they have is the one run on garage floor with pine shavings . I know they could use a dustbath. What does everyone think ?
    The coop and 2 runs are"'Tomorrows headache!" Although that advice is needed as well. I do not want to be a slave to maintanence once they are set up in coop but I want to keep after the mess to keep the little monsters happy and healthy and my family healthy as well. I have the DE already and thought I needed to wait until Silkies are in coop and older?

6. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    what is DE?

7. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    Diatamaceous Earth (sp?) - you can get food grade that you can use in your run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by