SAND IN THE BATH

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SissaRuth84, Sep 28, 2016.

1. SissaRuth84

SissaRuth84 Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2016
    Clovis, CA
    Good afternoon everyone !!

I've done a lot of research on what to use for dust bathing, but not much of the preferred materials are available to me at the moment :/

I do, however, have extra REPTILE SUBSTRATE, which is essentially calcium sand. It's very fine and my sand snakes will bury their whole body and face into it without irritating their sinuses or cause respiratory issues.

Do you suppose the sand is ok to use for my chicks to keep practicing their bathing ? They've been going outside for half days but lately it's been close to 100 degrees here :(

Any advice is appreciated !!

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Any clean sand is safe....I use Hawaiian sand in my Coop.....Your good to go!!!!!

Cheers!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They do not have access to plain ole dirt on the ground of their run or range?
    What snakes can tolerate might be different than what a bird can tolerate, snakes don't scratch and wingflap stuff up into the air.

4. SissaRuth84

SissaRuth84 Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2016
    Clovis, CA

The sand is finer than play or fill sand. I also use it in the soaps I make as a mild abrasive. And they're only 3 weeks old so they're still in their brooder. The coop and yard are still under construction.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

6. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I did the chunk of soil in the brooder on the last batch of chicks and they did have a lot of fun tearing it up. If you're not giving them medicated feed, you may want to have some Corid on hand, just in case. Cocci can be nasty and quick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by