sand in the coop...really?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by frizzleman74, Sep 25, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    I so interested by people putting sand in their coop. I would love to see pictures of your setups and hear stories on if you like it, and what the pros and the cons are.

2. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    There is a thread floating around called..Got sand? it is really long, but huge on info. I subscribe to it because I am considering making our coop and part of my run with sand.

3. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    I used to have shavings on the linoleum floor but decided it didn't work well for my coop. Purchased play sand and it works great. Not all my girls roost the "correct" way with tails above the poop board. With the sand, it is easy to scoop up every day. I bought a scoop from Petsmart in the reptile department. DH added an A/C unit to their coop as we live in AZ and it's been a hot summer. Still in the low 100's here during the day. The girls hang out in their nice cool coop everyday and love taking an indoor sand bath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This part of the coop is just the linoleum floor so the door can open. The shavings from the nest boxes are easy to clean when dropped on the floor.
    [​IMG]

4. Newchick2this

Newchick2this Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    connecticut
    i put sand in my coop after trying hay and shavings and love it. its so easy to keep clean still keep hay in nest boxes and yesterday when I cleaned the coop I use a horse future fork to scoop any hay material they knock on the ground then I use a cat scoop large one to pick up any poop that I missed its really easy and stays really clean I highly recommend it. Now if I sould only find something to use instead of wood for perches that would stay clean I would be all set.[​IMG]

5. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Yes the "Got Sand" thread is great, that is the thread where I learned alot. But, since you asked...

I love my sand, so easy to clean, would not have it any other way EVER!

[​IMG]

My cleaning supplies

[​IMG]

I DO NOT use sand in the nest boxes cause they would scratch it all away and the eggs would crack on the ply wood. I bought some nest pads from eggcartons.com and I love them.

[​IMG]

6. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:Are these the ones you purchased? Looks much better that shavings. Do you find your floor to stay cleaner with these than with shavings?
    10 count for $11.95? I need to order more egg cartons from them as well. I also have indoor/outdoor carpet on the roosts and in the nest boxes as well. My avian vet suggested it on the roosts to avoid getting bumblefoot (I have a couple girls who developed it) Seems to be working. You can hose it off to keep it clean.
    I like your scooper for the sand. Where did you find it? The one I have is just a small hand held and is a killer on the back. I have to kneel and scoop.
    13" x 13" Excelsior Nesting Pads
    http://www.eggcartons.com/13-x-13-Excelsior-Nesting-Pads/productinfo/EP1313/

7. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:Are these the ones you purchased? Looks much better that shavings. Do you find your floor to stay cleaner with these than with shavings?
    10 count for $11.95? I need to order more egg cartons from them as well. I also have indoor/outdoor carpet on the roosts and in the nest boxes as well. My avian vet suggested it on the roosts to avoid getting bumblefoot (I have a couple girls who developed it) Seems to be working. You can hose it off to keep it clean.
    I like your scooper for the sand. Where did you find it? The one I have is just a small hand held and is a killer on the back. I have to kneel and scoop.

Yes those are the pads and I really really love them. My birds only go into the boxes to lay so I have never had anything in there but a few fluff feathers. I have not had to replace the first ones i put in there yet so I still have 7 left. So far, very clean. AND they cant kick it out like the shavings so the coop floor stays cleaner also.

The scoop I got from here - not cheap but WELL WORTH IT

http://goliathscoop.com/index.html

8. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ

Yes those are the pads and I really really love them. My birds only go into the boxes to lay so I have never had anything in there but a few fluff feathers. I have not had to replace the first ones i put in there yet so I still have 7 left. So far, very clean. AND they cant kick it out like the shavings so the coop floor stays cleaner also.

The scoop I got from here - not cheap but WELL WORTH IT

http://goliathscoop.com/index.html

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Maybe have to add the scoop to my wish list from Santa [​IMG] I think for sure it will be well worth the cost. Much easier to scoop the poop from the coop and probably their run.

9. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Love all these ideas! I'll be switching to sand also. [​IMG]

10. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    thanks so much for all of your ideas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by