Sand in the run? How to clean?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by smcdermott, Feb 19, 2015.

1. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    Building our coop right now. Thinking we want to go with sand in the run. It is going to be a BIG run. Can I just rake the poop out with a thick garden rake?
    Someone was saying to use a litter scoop in the coop but that would be totally impossible for the run.
    ????????????

2. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I zip tied 1/2 inch hardware cloth to a pitch fork and made myself a giant litter scoop. Scoop, sift, dump in a bucket and I'm done.

1 person likes this.
  3. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    Thanks so much. Did you try the rake frist? Would I just be waisting time?

4. Monguire

Monguire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    Manassas, VA
    I have found i usually have to do one or the other. If I take my metal garden rake to the sand in my run, it pretty much breaks up the dessicated poop to the point where scooping it is almost impossible unless I wanted to send an offending child out with a flour sifter as punishment. On lazy days, I'll use the rake.

On good days, when I'm looking to reduce the nitrogen load in my sand, maintain a "cleaner" environment for my babies and stockpiling more poop away for my future raised-bed garden, I'll use the "litter scoop" to pull the worst offenders out of the sand before maybe giving a light going-over with the rake to fill in bathing-holes.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  5. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    If you start moving the poop around, it breaks up and becomes unsiftable. I don't bother raking except to even the sand out.

rbnk1 likes this.
  6. Memeschix

Memeschix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2014
    Central texas
    Go to the chicken-chick.com and search sand in run and she gives instruction on how to make your giant sand scoop. If you just rake, your just breaking down poop, not removing it. I like my run to be clean, the less poop , the better.:p

rbnk1 likes this.
  7. crumptz

crumptz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Mountain View, CA
    HAHA... When I googled Chicken-chick.com it directed me to an "adults only site". Is there perhaps a different name I should look under?

8. Bob Wehrlie

Bob Wehrlie New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    good Idea

9. Bob Wehrlie

Bob Wehrlie New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    WTG

10. Bob Wehrlie

Bob Wehrlie New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    LIKE!!