Sand needed in the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mom2jedi, Aug 20, 2008.

1. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I don't have my chickies yet but am trying to plan as much as I can. My DH has offered to build a coop/run and we thought we had it planned out pretty well. I was just reading on another post about putting sand in the run. Is that a common thing? Or would the ground be fine? What's the benefit of sand? Lastly, if it is better, how much would you need and is there a specific kind to use? I would imagine sandbox sand may not be the best idea - too expensive right?

Thanks for your help,
    Shauna

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Yes sandbox sand is the kind to use. I use it in my run to dry up water when it rains and for the chickens to take a dust bath in.

3. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I use sand. Our run is 12x16 and I buy play sand by the bag, use around six bags to spread around - at Lowes I think it's a little over $3 a bag. It's very fine sand. The reason I cover the entire run is because I found it's easier to clean up poop. I take a flat head shovel and easily run it across the top and scrape up the top layer. I replace it every other month or so.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We have coops with just dirt in them and they tend get STINKY quick. Well we have a creek behind the house that is FULL of clean, fine play sand and I got the bright idea to start putting sand in the wet spots and it worked WONDERS!!! I now have 6 inches of sand in every coop and low spot in the pasture. The sand pulls the wetness right out of the poo and any spilled water, and you can run a rake right thru it to pull any clumps right out. Sand is pretty cheap if you buy it by the truckload, and I highly recommend it.

5. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks everyone, I guess I'll put sand into the planning as well. I would never have thought of using it for the moisture aspect. I'm planning to do the deep litter method in the coop. I'm a little unclear still about maintenance in the run. If I use sand in it, would I rake it like you would with a horse stall and put the chicken poop in the compost pile? Or would I rake it into the sand and spread DE on top like you do in the DLM in the coop?

If that's the case, do you change out the sand once a year completely or just add new sand to it?

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I have never had to change my sand. I rake through it when I feel like it just to get the feathers and such out and let it go.

7. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Thanks mom2jedi for posting this question.

DH and I just finished our coop/run and we have lots of low spots.

We are kicking around the idea of useing sand, but my concern is sand fleas and ants.

I would like to know if putting DE in the sand will help with keep fleas and ants from making a home in the added sand?

For those who have sand covered runs... Do you use DE to help control bugs like fleas and ants?

8. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:You're welcome! [​IMG]

Very good questions yourself, I remember reading DE helps with mite and lice control. I would hope if it takes care of one insect, it would take care of fleas and ants as well.

Anyone know for sure?

Shauna

9. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I like the sand to cus (I only have a few chickens) so sometimes I will just "scoop" out the poo with a cat scooper to keep the run fresh. The sand acts like kitty litter.

10. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I have sand in my EE pen and I do not have a problem with ants or fleas, or anything else as far as that goes. I do not use DE because I can not find food grade around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by