1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SAND-okay on the floor inside the coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by capebird, Jun 9, 2011.

1. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    I was going to do pine wood shavings on the flloor.... inside the hen house....
    but after reading so much about sand, I'm now thinking of using it. From what i've read
    it seems most people use it in the run.... but what about on interior floor of the hen house?

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Works great and easy to clean. If you have a tractor, it may make it heavy but otherwise give it a try, I think you will like it

Please be sure that no matter what you use a litter, to seal the floor or cover with vinyl to prevent moisture and poo from soaking in

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Does paint seal it ok?

4. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I also had a question about sand in the coop. I was telling a friend yesterday that I was thinking of using sand in the coop instead of shavings. Her response was that in her experiences with sand in general is that it always ends up being mite ridden and that I should be careful using sand since chickens get mites and lice anyway. I have read such good things about sand and how easy it is to scoop poop out of coops. Has anyone had mite problems with their sand?

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    It's working great for me and the hens love it. Winter has yet to be seen, mind you...

6. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I mixed in a bunch of DE into my sand on the floor of my house and have never seen a mite.

Super easy to clean. I have a kitty litter scoop next to their house and scoop each morning and toss the droppings into the compost bin.

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We use sand here, rake it once a week and mix some DE or seven dust in when we do the nest boxes. of course we don't have winters here, so don't have to worry about the cold and snow.

8. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Quote:Yes. Several coats of latex paint will seal it and the latex is safe once dry.

9. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    Will the eggs still be ok to eat with DE
    or7 dust mixed in????

10. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    DE is safe to eat. It doesn't have much flavor, though. So it's safe to eat the eggs too.

Sevin is a pesticide. So there is always a risk of it being absorbed into the chicken. Some say it's safe, other say no. The company website says not to use it on animals, so it's hard to have a clear answer on that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by